Shimano SPD-SL cleats

nicknick
nicknick Posts: 535
edited September 2007 in Workshop
Hi, does anyone know if you can buy the little plates that sit on top of the pedals seperately or do they come with cleats? My cleats are OK but i dont want to spend 15 quid really just for the little plates! Thanks

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    edited September 2007
    If you mean the black plastic inserts on the pedals, then no they don't come with the cleats. Talk to your LBS, I think they were available as a spare part - body plate cover or try ultimate pursuits, search for your pedal and spares.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If it's what I think you are talking about, I have a spare set. I got them with the pedals, with instructions when to change them.

I've got the 105 pedals (5600).

This year's pedals have metal plates instead of the plastic ones - they won't where down as quick.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • woody-som
    I had two sets of the 105 with the plastic plate, 1 set drove me crazy with a clicking sound on every pedal stroke. I pulled the bike apart before find this. Changed that set for the new dura-ace with the metal plate, worth the investment. The other set is still fine, yet both sets were the same age (12-18 months), and the noisy set had done about half the mileage.
    Mine never came with spare insert plates, I've been robbed :shock:
  • redddraggon
    woody-som wrote:
    I had two sets of the 105 with the plastic plate, 1 set drove me crazy with a clicking sound on every pedal stroke. I pulled the bike apart before find this. Changed that set for the new dura-ace with the metal plate, worth the investment. The other set is still fine, yet both sets were the same age (12-18 months), and the noisy set had done about half the mileage.
    Mine never came with spare insert plates, I've been robbed :shock:

Did you get the reflectors?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • woody-som
    not with the 105's or the dura-ace, but then the dura-ace were OE stock and I wouldn't want them spoiling the look of a Ti bike.
  • redddraggon
    My 105s were OE.

f_DSC00274800m_b4678e0.jpg

I use them on my commuting (only) bike, don't know how they've got so banged up, the other pedal is even worse than this one - you can't read the 105 on it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • woody-som
    thats the first time I've ever seen SPD-SL pedals with the reflector.

Now I really feel robbed :evil:

I wouldn't have ever used the reflectors, so not bothered, spare plates would have been nice.
  • redddraggon
    woody-som wrote:
    I wouldn't have ever used the reflectors,

I'm going to be doing a lot riding in the dark, through the next 6 or so months, so I fitted them yesterday. I thought that I'll probably be better off with them, than without. Went for a ride with them on this morning, don't notice them there when riding or trying to clip in.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I think you guys know what im talking about! I got a spare set with my pedals too, then i went to fit them and one had gone missing so i could only fit one! Now one is real slack as its so worn. I need to replace it before i start doing some damage but nobody seems to list them like wiggle etc. Will check ultimate persuits!

Btw i came across those reflectors earlier and didn't know where they were from so thanks for that pic :D
  • redddraggon
    nicknick wrote:
    I think you guys know what im talking about! I got a spare set with my pedals too, then i went to fit them and one had gone missing so i could only fit one! Now one is real slack as its so worn. I need to replace it before i start doing some damage but nobody seems to list them like wiggle etc. Will check ultimate persuits!

Btw i came across those reflectors earlier and didn't know where they were from so thanks for that pic :D

Rather than getting the plastic pieces, which will probably cost more than they are worth and will need changing again eventually, why don't you get some of the new 105s, they come with the metal plates which won't need replacing for about £33 off ebay. I'm tempted to go that way myself.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-105-PD-56 ... dZViewItem
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yeah i see your point, although that really is crap of shimano! Nothing wrong with my pedals so buying new ones is painful! I beleive the new pedals still use the normal cleats?
  • redddraggon
    nicknick wrote:
    Yeah i see your point, although that really is crap of shimano! Nothing wrong with my pedals so buying new ones is painful! I beleive the new pedals still use the normal cleats?

Yeh, still spd-sl. The new pedals look really good, but I think I'll be able to resist getting them just yet, only had these since the end of July.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr