Elite Mens *spoiler*

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2007 in Pro race
Ok, no spoilers yet, but just in case.

I laughed at Yatesy this morning - He reckons Hincapie is in good shape and will go for it today because he lost the US Nationals and doesn't want to wear pink next year.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• 3 men clear including Stephane Auge.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    The Dutch seem to be making a bit of a mess of this - why not let the Spanish do some work?
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    This is exciting as watching paint dry. Who are the favourites? And does anybody care?

Edit: OK, I found the favourites: http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports ... -road-race

And I'm still bored.

Another edit: the Dutch must have a strategy. Anyone worked out what it is?
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • skut
    chase down gesink, who's probably their best rider in any case?
  • iainf72
    Now the weaker guys are being elimnated, who do you fancy?

Expect a surprise from anyone?
  • skut
    rebellin's away, but i expect he'll be caught. I reckon it'll be between freire and pozzato..
  • I reckon Valverde will hop on a motorbike for the final lap, with Dr Fuentes sat behind him holding a flag saying "ha ha ha". Valverde will eventually get stripped of the title in 2041 when the Court for the Court For Sporting Arbitration of Arbitration Decisions make their final decision.

Just a hunch.
  • skut
    i can see millar hiding in the wheels - can he place high do you think?
  • MIllar was very active on the last lap of last year's race - let's hope he can do something now
  • skut
    Go boogie!
  • iainf72
    FORZA BETTINI!!!!!!!!

What a final.

Brilliant.

In yer eye, Stuttgart
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Nice one by Bettini to rub it in the faces of the Germans!
  • skut
    schumacher made a mistake going after evans with 1 km to go. Gave bettini a free ride...
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Great, just what cycling needs. A world champion with questions over his integrity. :?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Can't wait to see McQuaid or the Mayor of Stuttgart hand the jersey to Bettini :roll:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    What's your beef Phil? He's agreed to give his DNA if requested. What else do you want?
  • skut
    uh - it already had one of those before the race started :wink:
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    What's your beef Phil? He's agreed to give his DNA if requested. What else do you want?

Could he sign a piece of toilet paper?

I'm so buying the Squadra kit now.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    What a fantastic ride by Bettini - made the break, didn't panic, controlled it brilliantly and paced his finish to perfection. You don't learn race tactics like that from a pharmacy so i'll completely ignore phil s' irrelevant post - unless of course he wanted Evans to win - who as usual did absolutely nothing to make a race of it!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Didn't open his mouth much on the climbs either except to give out to anyone who dared work less than he.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Evans and Schleck virtually handed him the jersey on a plate. Good on him though. A great champion.

BTW Yates and Porter sounded like they were on mogadon compared to Harmon and even Kelly! Hopeless at picking out riders too.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Crowd not at all happy with Bettini on the podium - lot of whistling and cat-calls. McQuaid looked like he was going to punch him!
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    A great victory. Now that he's agreed to give DNA I want to say 'case closed' and salute him. Is that naive? Is there any 'evidence'?
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    andyp wrote:

I don't give a rat's arse about the piece of paper from the UCI. What bothers me are some of his ambiguous statements, and his silence on certain matters. He is not the role model cycling needs, not by a long shot.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • iainf72
    Eurostar wrote:
    A great victory. Now that he's agreed to give DNA I want to say 'case closed' and salute him. Is that naive? Is there any 'evidence'?

There never was. Aside from the fact he had the balls to say no to the UCI and their nonsense.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I so wanted Kolobnev to take it, would have been a double-header for Bjarne, but never mind it was a thrilling ride.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Super race, shame about the winner.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    afx237vi wrote:
    BTW Yates and Porter sounded like they were on mogadon compared to Harmon and even Kelly! Hopeless at picking out riders too.

Quote of the day: "Schumacher is the one with the helmet sat on top of his head" or words to that effect.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was a very tall helmet and it did look like it was perched rather than worn to be fair.
  • skut
    i reckon hugh and yatesy were ok - the rider recognition is tougher when they're not in trade team kits