Best bike shop

fattyatkinson
fattyatkinson Posts: 40
edited November 2007 in Workshop
Hi. What is the best bike shop in the UK?

Comments

• SANDY'S SUPERSTARS

Northenden

Manchestoh :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Hi
    I think Edinburgh bike co op is good on the whole for price and spares.
  • Paul Hewitt Cycles Preston Road Leyland 01772424773 without a shadow of a doubt !!!
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    SPA cycles
    The tourists choice
    Chris
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Bicycle Works in Edinburgh. Great selection of top end bikes and clothes. Also does tri stuff as well and the staff are very helpful.
    Brian B.
  • Wheelcraft, Clachan of Campsie.

If you're not in a hurry...
  • Wheelcraft, Clachan of Campsie.

and don't mind putting on the kettle, I think he had a tee urn for a while though..
    cracked a rim on a ride once, rode up the shop Al, snipped off the spokes built up another whilst I was standing there making the tea.

you'll not see that anywhere else
    Neil
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Paul Hewitt cycles of course!! :)
  • rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    For road bikes, Paul Hewitt. Fantastic wheels, superb fitting service, knowledgeable staff, who don't Lord It over you (even though Gethin's still the 24 hour and 1000 mile record holder).
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sigma Cycles in Kingston - excellent advice and a great range of top end bikes to perv over...
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Phil Corley's in Milton Keynes! :D
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Neil Pcp wrote:
    Wheelcraft, Clachan of Campsie.

and don't mind putting on the kettle, I think he had a tee urn for a while though..
    cracked a rim on a ride once, rode up the shop Al, snipped off the spokes built up another whilst I was standing there making the tea.

Another vote for Wheelcraft. Totally agree about not seeing that anywhere else. Great place - I would highly doubt there is another bike shop in the UK which gives as good a service as Al and where you're made to feel a customer whether your wanting to buy a pair of wheels or looking for some elusive nut and bolt. Just make sure you leave enough time to have a coffee and a chat - which is all part of the charm of the place!!!
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    Neil Pcp wrote:
    Wheelcraft, Clachan of Campsie.

Another vote for Wheelcraft. Totally agree about not seeing that anywhere else. Great place - I would highly doubt there is another bike shop in the UK which gives as good a service as Al and where you're made to feel a customer whether your wanting to buy a pair of wheels or looking for some elusive nut and bolt. Just make sure you leave enough time to have a coffee and a chat - which is all part of the charm of the place!!!

Hi there.

The first time I ever went to Wheelcraft must have been about 10 years ago. I'd ridden out from Glasgow and was intending to 'drop in' on my way back to Stirling. What actually happened was that I got caught in a torrential downpour, then got lost - I though the shop was in Milton of Campsie...

So in the end I turned up dripping wet, freezing cold and about an hour late - just before closing time. The first thing Big Al did when I turned up was stick the kettle on then take off his own jumper and made me wear it until I warmed up (it was about 6 sizes too big).

Several cups of earth shatteringly strong coffee later, and after much chat. I was warmed up, but it was 2 hours past closing time and dark! Al then 'persuaded' another customer to drive me home, and I've been a fan ever since.

I didn't actually manage to buy anything though! Although I'm not sure that actually selling things is Al's strong point.

Cheers, Andy
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I think 3 hours is an average time I spend on a visit to Wheelcraft and its never a chore. I was there in July as I had an old bike I was wanting stripped down to ship here to Oz to use as a commuter. I hadn't seen Al for maybe 16 months and I got the use of all the tools and several coffees without any questioning or charges (spent maybe 4 hours there that day). I did buy stuff which I needed though but it wasn't a condition or necessity to getting the tools. My girlfriend came with me and she was totally amazed at the place and had a good natter with Al when I was away working on the bike. I got a bit of 'abuse' later on from my brothers when she announced that she had a great day out visiting the bike shop :lol: I like to show a girl a good time!!
  • Rock n' Road in southampton - friendly, knowledgeable, good prices, great range and great coffee and chocolate biccies. i noticed a bit of play in my rear wheel on saturday (before a sportive yesterday) at about 4.15pm, gave them a ring and popped down there and they sorted it while i waited FOC.

I can also recommend Sigma Sport in Kingston as i used to live there and it was my lbs for a few years (Kingston, not the shop).
    pm
  • Barbes
    Barbes Posts: 72
    Wheelcraft again. Al (and Norman) have built both my bikes to date and never complain about my lack of any mechanical knowledge whatsoever. Last time, they even showed my 5 yr old daughter to the choccy box while I test rode.

It's unique.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Dave Hinde :twisted:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • Fatbirds Dont Fly (Hunstanton) or Phil Corley (Milton Keynes).
  • Another vote for Paul Hewitt Cycles :D
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    My local bike shop City cycles in Chichester.

http://www.citycycleschichester.com/default.aspx
  • wheelcraft sounds like and amazing shop and this Al guy a top bloke!
  • I have to throw my cap in the ring and say it is Racescene in Barnsley.

Fantastic lads who know their stuff and take the time to talk to you and get your position correct on the bike.

I only have the highest praise for Freddie, Richard and Michael.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Sigma Sport are ok but their customer service could be better. In 2006 I bought a De Rosa King for them with full Record and Neutron wheels. I was very happy until the anodized finish of the spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel started to come off!
    I took the wheels back to the shop. It took them nine months for them to eventually fit some new spokes to the wheel! Not very good after spending £4500 on a bike I would have though they could have just given me a new set of wheels instead of keeping me waiting that long. Its not as if the wheels were that expensive £450.
    I got so fed up of waiting that I cut my losses and bought a pair of Eurus wheels from them at cost.
  • ajb
    ajb Posts: 27
    A second vote for Racescene
    Great bikes, fantastic service
    can't recommend it highly enough
  • Another vote for Racescene. They know their stuff.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Despite some interesting comments in other threads, I'll keep returning to one shop - Condor Cycles in Holbourn, London.

Peter