What to Spend my money on?

2»

Comments

• jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    mavic crossride's are good for £106 then have a look for some forks on crc and with the rest have a look on ebay and try and get a new xt rear mech for £20
  • What do we think of these ladies and gents?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13461

Looks to be a nice range of features. ;)

Solid reviews too. Just about to go onto MTBR with them ;)
  • jacktheoc
    suppose they are good for the money and look nice!
  • Great thread this.

I am in exactly the same position with the same bike (XTC SE).
    Mine has the Marzocchi mz race 100mm forks and don't have any rebound adjustment.
    I think the fork should be the first thing to be upgraded, either the MX pro, toras or reba if I can afford them, as my wrists start to hurt on fast bumby sections.

Anyone know how much the standard wheels weigh?
    I am not exactly a lightweight (13.5 stone) and I don't want to get new wheels that save a couple of hundred grams if they are not at least as strong as the originals.

Thanks
  • jacktheoc
    its a handlebar mounted switch you can press it down and it will lock the forks out! and you can change the compression from them aswell, got one on my giant reign very handy!
  • Sounds cool. Might send off for those forks, the reba SL with the poplock. And then buy the Mavic Crossride rims. Thanks for all the help
    Tom

Jack: Your bike looks amazing!

EDIT: Will i need a C lock, or a 6 bolt lock??? (i dont really understand :S)
  • Get 6 bolt hubs.Then you can re-use your existing discs.

As said before,forks 1st,then wheels.Cassette is a cheap way to save some weight,you can get an XT cassettte off ebay for £30 but get your wheels and cassette first.

If you don't like the idea of getting the OE SL,Merlin also do the Race version of the Reba for £240.I've had no problems with my SLs,and you would still have some means of redress,with Merlinif you had a problem,anyway.(Merlin have a very good reputation.)

I wouldn't personally reccomend Manitou forks.I've had two pairs,and I had some issues with both.Nobody services or sells spares for them either.

Tyres are a very worthwhile upgarde ,for not much money too.

I'd leave stuff like mechs,bars,seatposts,etc,until you've got the basics right.

Definitlely reccomend Reba forks,then Mavic Crossride wheels,or XT with 717 from Merlin,as the way to go.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Scooby26 wrote:
    Great thread this.

I am in exactly the same position with the same bike (XTC SE).
    Mine has the Marzocchi mz race 100mm forks and don't have any rebound adjustment.
    I think the fork should be the first thing to be upgraded, either the MX pro, toras or reba if I can afford them, as my wrists start to hurt on fast bumby sections.

Anyone know how much the standard wheels weigh?
    I am not exactly a lightweight (13.5 stone) and I don't want to get new wheels that save a couple of hundred grams if they are not at least as strong as the originals.

Thanks

Approx 1300g rear,1100 for the front.Any well built wheelset,should be as strong.Something like Hope hubs with a Mavic 717 rim would be over a pound lighter and every bit as strong,if not stronger if hand built,properly.Strength is as good as the quality of the wheel builder.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Get 6 bolt hubs.Then you can re-use your existing discs.

As said before,forks 1st,then wheels.Cassette is a cheap way to save some weight,you can get an XT cassettte off ebay for £30 but get your wheels and cassette first.

If you don't like the idea of getting the OE SL,Merlin also do the Race version of the Reba for £240.I've had no problems with my SLs,and you would still have some means of redress,with Merlinif you had a problem,anyway.(Merlin have a very good reputation.)

I wouldn't personally reccomend Manitou forks.I've had two pairs,and I had some issues with both.Nobody services or sells spares for them either.

Tyres are a very worthwhile upgarde ,for not much money too.

I'd leave stuff like mechs,bars,seatposts,etc,until you've got the basics right.

Definitlely reccomend Reba forks,then Mavic Crossride wheels,or XT with 717 from Merlin,as the way to go.

Spiderman, i cant thank you enough. Seen as though the mojority of people recomend these reba SL's i think i will go for them. But is it not illegal for merlin to split a bike for selling things seperate?
    Also, shall i get the 2008 model off Merlin.
    Or
    The 2007 off chain reaction with the poplock??

O and i had a major fall the other day on the bike. Was going of a slight drop off, but silly me, i wasn't going fast enough, so i ended up going over the bars, going arse over tit, and landing on my head. If it wasn't for the helmet i would say i would hav been in a hospital, Very slighty sprined wrist :(. But one of the other reasons i think i kinda came off, was 1 the Speed, and 2, i had my lockout on, the reason for this was climbing on the road and forgot :roll: , this surly cant of helped?

Sorry for the blabbb

Tom
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    But is it not illegal for merlin to split a bike for selling things seperate?
    if it was CRC would be in a spot of bother....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I would think that Merlin source their forks as individual units,but qualify for OE equipment (such as the Reba SL),as they put together their own Malt and Rock Lobster bikes.In effect ,they are a manufaturer themselves.

If having remote for the lock out appeals and its not much more,you could go for the poploc.

However,I don't have poploc and can reach down to the fork crown whilst rding and operate lock out,so its really a question,of whether you think the convenience is worth the extra.Some would say its one more thing to go wrong too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • may as well go for the 2008 ones off merlin. They are the latest model and cheaper ;)

Cheers you guys! Just waiting for this wrist to heal :(

Thanks
    Tom
  • may as well go for the 2008 ones off merlin. They are the latest model and cheaper ;)

Cheers you guys! Just waiting for this wrist to heal :(

Thanks
    Tom

Hope it gets better soon.Lucky, you were wearing a lid.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Cheers Spiderman (Peter Parker)

Will the wheels from merlin come built up? If not i think i will fit them myself :) Save some money, and then get the professionals to fit the forks.

Just realised, Merlinecycles have tarted up their site

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18
  • Just before i order. i would like to know if anyone knows if the wheels will come built up?

Cheers
    Tom
  • The wheels will come built,you just need to add tyres and tubes,and the rear cassette (gear cluster),from your current set and slot them into your frame.

Gears and brakes may need tweaked slightly,afterwards.

If you are not sure,how to fit them just ask,or take a look at the help guide on www.parktool.com

PS Close, with the name............ :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
  • Thanks Pete (Paul) Parker...... :P

I think i am ready to press order :) £300 :( o well. Its worth it, it gets used :D
  • Sorry, But am nervous buyer :P

Just completed the payment on merlin. Pressed confirm, Process etc.....Then it came up with something about signing up to this secure thing, at that moment i stopped, and went back to the merlin site, thinking it had been complete.

Just gone to my emails, and i have had no confirmation, apart from confirmation on signing up, but i signed up when i paid for the item. Nothings come out the bank. Don't thinks its gone through :(

Cheers
    Tom
  • Right they should be here tomorrow. I have decided to fit the forks as well :) I have looked around on instructions. and have actually successfully taken off the forks, that are on my bike. I have a cutter, so i reckon i should be ok. All i need is a Whip chain :)

Cheers
    Tom