Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    In general, yes.

Which frame?
  • Big Red S wrote:
    In general, yes.

Which frame?

A 2001 Rockhopper A1 FSR Comp

http://img73.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bike2zq3.jpg

I cant see a problem if I can find a correct sized shock?

Ignore the parts have swapped out the stock forks for toras, and am running a XT/LX groupset
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    That is the trick!

You need the length, and the size of the "eyes".

I did this on my Street Machine with no problem, and the difference in the ride is a worthwhile investment.

From experience, look up the present one on the manufacturer's site, note down the descriptors and use these when you search for the new one.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Yeah, should be fine. Doesn't look anything absurd, though if you're looking at getting a shock with a piggyback (unlikely), I'd check whether it'd fit first.

You need to get a new shock with the same eye-to-eye length (with the shock unloaded and so fully extended, the centre-centre distance between the holes at either end) and the same stroke (the difference in length between fully extended and fully compressed).

You *can* fit a shock of different length but you'll change the handling (shorter=slacker, longer=steeper), usually for the worse.

You'll also need to make sure you can get bushings to fit, which should be no problem. At worst, you'll be measuring the width of the shock eyelets and the internal width of the shock mounts and phoning BETD.
  • Ok have measured mine (eye to eye) and the come out at 165mm - would these work (or are they any good?)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rock-Shox-Rocksho ... dZViewItem
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    Is the stroke the same? That shock is light but I doubt it will be tough enough to handle some abuse. It's a xc shock. What kind of riding are you into?