Stickers on helmets?

saracen blitz chris
saracen blitz chris Posts: 106
edited September 2007 in MTB general
Hi there!

Getting bored of my sixsixone mullet helmet and was wondering if its ok to put stickers on it? i mean pros seem to but i wasnt sure if they were special vynils.
only asking as my parents are adimant that it will ruin my helmet and it wont do anything if i fall off!

i however dont belive this, so are they right and im wrong?

many thanks!

Comments

• Hi there!

Getting bored of my sixsixone mullet helmet and was wondering if its ok to put stickers on it? i mean pros seem to but i wasnt sure if they were special vynils.
    only asking as my parents are adimant that it will ruin my helmet and it wont do anything if i fall off!

i however dont belive this, so are they right and im wrong?

many thanks!
    I think it really depends on the stickers.
    I Know the adhesive in most stickers can actually attack the material the helmet is made from but to what extent I don't know
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    if you want to stick stickers on just wait till mbuk comes out on mon as they arejust normal stickers and wont effect the helmet at all!
  • good good! That was what i was hoping to use the stickers for! :D
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    The inner of a typical bog-standard helmet is expanded polystyrene, which is attacked by a lot of common solvents. Fancier helmets can have exotic inner materials and are less prone to attack. But both tend to have a polymeric weatherproof outer coating which tend to be pretty tough and resilient - and could take a big reflective sticker without problem.

If your helmet has a foamy inner core and a thin outer, I'd say the advantages of a few reflectives outweight any disadvantages and I am really surprised it isn's already a BSI kitemark issue
  • you'll be fine with a mullet i'd have thought. especially with mbuk stickers.
  • this applies more to motobike helmets which tend to have a fibreglass or composite outer shell, as some stickers can attack the epoxy resin component of the fibreglass layup, having said that most helmets have a top shell layer designed to take day-to-day scratches and marks

but I have been using stickers for many years on skate, bmx, XC and Full-Face (both MTB and Moto-x) helmets without any noticeable consequences :wink:
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • i think the reason the companies say not to put stickers on your helmet is because it hides their branding and it could also cover up a crack or other damage.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein