Short or Medium Cage on Campag Centaur

master_grunthos
master_grunthos Posts: 161
edited September 2007 in Workshop
Hi

I'm planning to build a bike with a Campag Centaur Groupset. I want to use the 13-29 cassette with a double (39/53) chainset. I know that if I use the same cassette with a compact chainset I'll need a medium cage on the rear mech, my question is:

Do i still require a medium mech with a 39/53 chainset and 13-29 cassette or will a short one work ok?

Cheers

M_G
M_G

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Many people have successfully used a short-arm rear mech with the 13-29 cassette, even though Campag recommend the medium cage. If you've already got the short cage mech, I'd try that first.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    If you've got a short mech that will do fine as long as you don't run the big rings together (or the small rings together).

But if you're buying new, get the med mech. The extra weight is not worth worrying about and it works over all the gears

- JimW
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Many people have successfully used a short-arm rear mech with the 13-29 cassette, even though Campag recommend the medium cage. If you've already got the short cage mech, I'd try that first.

But was that with a 39/53!!??

But as you say I'd try a short first.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    If you are buying a new group, I would buy the medium cage because that will afford you the most flexibility in the long term (eg if you decide to go triple later on).