Cheap Shimmy R550s... any good?

Lagavulin
Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
edited September 2007 in Workshop
I see Ribble are flogging these at just over £80 with tyres, tape and tubes.

Are they rubbish or might they be ok for the winter.

I bought some lovely RR1850s recently but they're white and I'd like to keep them that colour.

I currently only have the original Alex AT400s as an alternative and they've been trued twice in a year and I should really get them done again.

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I have a set of R500 and R550, never found any problems with either set. Only had to true 1 spoke on 1 wheel once in over a year for both sets, funny both rear wheels. For the money they make a great training set of wheels.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    At that price you cann't go wrong.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Thanks for the replies.

At daft o'clock this morning I ordered some cheap Aksium's instead which I plan to hoy some Krylion Carbons on.

Might still order a set though and sling the AT400s.

Like you said John, that does seem a bargain price and it was pay day yesterday.

I think I should reward myself for resisting the urge and agreeing not to buy a new bike until atleast January (but probably Spring).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bought a pair of R550's, had a lot a punctures at first as the spoke holes had been badlly finished.
    Painstakingly burred the sharp edges off and fitted Continental High Performance Rim tape.
    Apart from that minor aggravation they have been a good set of training wheels and stayed true.
    Have even raced them with Pro Race 2 Service Course fitted.
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    I have used a pair of R550s as winter wheels over the last 2 winters. They have been 100% reliable - still completely true after about 5000 winter miles. Ride nicely too. I would recommend them very highly for the price (especially at £80).