Wet weather cycling with shades/glasses

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited September 2007 in Commuting chat
Any tips to stop the visibility becoming waterlogged???

at present I wear shades but when it gets dark I'll swap to clear as I really don't like stuff hitting me in the eyes when I'm cycling (it's bad enough bugs hitting the back of your throat), if it's raining I'll wear a small peaked cap under my helmet to stop the rain impairing my vision

Is there something I can put on my lenses to keep em clear???

cheers
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• A good old bit of spittle (or soap) is supposed to help with misting and waterlogging but i've never really found it helps that much.

I just keep a small scrap of synthetic chamois stuffed down the back of one of my gloves and use that to wipe clear when needed.
    ===============================
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer
    ===============================
  • Each time you come to set of lights and stop :-)

Wipe them on your short

I know it's not fancy but it's the only thing that works

I suppose you could try and big hat!
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    A cycling cap helps a great deal.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    I use an Anti Fog spray that I use on my motobike helmet. Works Ok...

http://www.racevisors.co.uk/index.cfm/view_id/4/details/true/code/A-SHI-H&V
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Any tips to stop the visibility becoming waterlogged???

[snip]
    cheers

Wear a baseball cap. That works better than the traditional cycle cap, because the brim of a baseball cap is bigger.

The only problem with some baseball caps is that you get a drop of water on the brim, which moves back and forth, back and forth, back and ..., like somebody trying to hypnotize you. The remedy is to choose the right kind of baseball cap.

Avoid using a cap where the edge of the brim is very much like a semi circle, get a cap that is more squared off, so the part of the brim just in front of your eyes is less curved.

Jeremy Parker
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Problem with baseball caps is that they get blown off, hence traditional cycling caps.
  • spord
    spord Posts: 34
    My helmet has a peak thing on it that keeps most of the rain out... but I've worn glasses for ever so I'm quite used to not being able to see in the rain.
  • Cycling cap is most definitely the way forward, now most of the flys have gone and the sky has a lot more clouds in i am not wearing my cycling glasses as much. Only because when i wear a cap with them it disrupts the airflow and makes my eyes water.
    No 1 fan in the jonesy124 Fan Club
  • Ride so fast the wind dries them on the move.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I find with a cap and drop handlebars my neck can start to hurt after a while as I can't just raise my eyes I have to really crank my neck back
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Try a product called 'star brite rain view' works a treat