Help with training regimes?

MJDRAGON
MJDRAGON Posts: 35
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all, i am new to training, nomrally i just go out on the bike and ride from between 20 miles to 40 but i havent been the most regular rider however i am starting to go out when ever i can now. I am 18, 12 1/2 stone(muscular build with heavy bones) and stand at 5'11 and still growing. Other people have said i am quite good and i can acceralate fast and described me as a 'hill climber'.

My cycling experience does not go very far, done 2 club runs however i have done the Tour of Flanders 100 mile route which i roughly did in 6:30hours this year however i did not but in hardly much training and suffered form bad cramps on the rides. So i am asking help from the vetran cyclists on how to train well for competing in 10,25 and maybe even 50TT? Ok thanks you very much.

Comments

• In broad terms you need to build up distance/regular cycling to get used to being on the bike, riding in all weathers etc. then/at the same time you need to focus specific traing on the events your interested in. This would probably involve interval training at or slightly above the effort level for the events - which vary considerably in distance.
    The details of your training should include enough rest, good nutrition etc.
    Hopefully someone can fill in the specifics here - but try to read/learn as much as you can from other sources too and do what feels right for you. There is so much information - but as with most subjects some of it is rubbish - and for a novice its gahrd to know teh differnce ....
    Good luck!
  • Ok thanks for your reply. So how many times a week is it best to go out? Also how is the best way to do interval training(how many metres do you do it for etc)?

Ok thanks alot for your time. :D
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    MJDRAGON wrote:
    Ok thanks for your reply. So how many times a week is it best to go out? Also how is the best way to do interval training(how many metres do you do it for etc)?
    Hi MJDragon,

There's no one answer to how many times it's best to go out each week. It's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions! It depends on the time you have available, your fitness and your level of commitment to the sport. The best thing is to start with what you know you can manage comfortably from a fitness and time perspective, and then try to build up gradually the number of rides, the length of the rides and the intensity or effort on the rides. A good goal might be to ride 4 or 5 times a week, perhaps with a total of 7 or 8 hours on the bike?

If I were you I'd put interval training on the back burner until you've got a few months of consistent training in your legs. It's a long time before you'll need any top-end fitness if time-trialling is your goal - this is the time of year to enjoy some social riding. Are you in a club? They can be a great place to pick up bits of advice about training from those with experience - and riding with a club is a lot more fun that training on your own all the time too.

Ruth
  • Yes i am just getting into riding with a club, been two times(one was only three of us due to races on that day). Yes i want to be going out more consistent in the future, ok thanks alot. Sorry one more question.......for longer rides for mroe than 2 hours, what is best to eat and drink? Normally i only take water out even if i am goign out for 2 or 3 hours.

Thankyou for your reply.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    You should top up your energy levels if you're riding for longer than a couple of hours. Just put something convenient in your pocket like a banana, muesli bar or flapjack. Water is fine if you eat too.

Ruth
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    MJDRAGON wrote:
    Yes i am just getting into riding with a club, been two times(one was only three of us due to races on that day). Yes i want to be going out more consistent in the future, ok thanks alot. Sorry one more question.......for longer rides for mroe than 2 hours, what is best to eat and drink? Normally i only take water out even if i am goign out for 2 or 3 hours.

Thankyou for your reply.

My own findings match up with Ruth's advice - up to 2h I am fine on just water, over 2h I start adding bananas and nutrigrain bars at around 1/hour rate.

When I get home I usually have a milkshake immediately (the "goodness shakes" ones are nice) to help fill the carb/protein hole - this stops me being ravenous and stuffing my face.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Ah ok thanks guys for your help and good advice and i will try it in future.