Fave Cycling Trips

siena
siena Posts: 2
edited September 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

Have been trying to find out some of the worlds great cycling trips and I was hoping you could help me out with this? At the moment we've got the beginning of a list: http://www.worldreviewer.com/experiences/cycling/ but Lake Minnewanka near Banff is on the top - is that right?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    That was a good laugh, Thanks

Puerto Montt isn't in The Lagos region of Chile

It all depends what type of cycling you do/

Ventoux is great,but only number 2???

for tourers

Careterra Austral
    Friendship Highway
    Nullarbor Desert
    Danube Cycleway

Not even get a mention

george
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    You got itchy feet yet George?

Jim :)
  • Oh & the Camino del Norte doesn't visit either the city or province of Ourense
  • jibi
    bigjim wrote:
    You got itchy feet yet George?

Jim :)

Yep
    and they will be scratched, again!!!

9 more days till OZ and then .....across the Nullarbor Desert

george
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Found a great deal for Banff in late Novembner but will it be too cold then?
    jc
  • jibi
    Banff in November??

You mean the one in Canada???

In November??? :shock:

http://www.banff.com/weather/index.shtml

Seems OK for ski-ing, Have a good one :)

george
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Just dreaming really given this is the Number 1..Seen an offer 10days hotel and fllight to Banff for £600 in November..Did Interlaken, and Lauterbrunnen valley Switzerland earlier this year in the snow and loved it .
    jc
  • It really doesn't get cold until Dec. Jan. time frame, however it is high altitude so you can expect some snow and maybe frost -10 to -15 at night 2 to 10 C in the day depending on the wind. Dress warm in layers that way you are ready for anything, I would be a little hesitant about swimming, you may need to carry an axe to cut a hole in the ice.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    jc4lab wrote:
    Found a great deal for Banff in late Novembner but will it be too cold then?
    Cold? It was bleedin' cold when I was there in the middle of summer, during a heatwave. Like a warm winters day here.
    siena wrote:
    Have been trying to find out some of the worlds great cycling trips and I was hoping you could help me out with this? At the moment we've got the beginning of a list: http://www.worldreviewer.com/experiences/cycling/ but Lake Minnewanka near Banff is on the top - is that right?
    I think that what defines a cycling trip as great is really down to the individual and what they want in a trip:Scenery, culture, challenge, touring , commercial / organised etc. The site appears to rely on folk posting their favourites rather than an authoritive list

The area around Banff is certainly one of the most stunningly beautiful parts of the planet.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill