teesside

jacktheoc
jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
edited September 2007 in Routes
des anyone know of any routes around the billingham/norton area about 10-15 miles long, nothing hard just i will be not biking for about 6weeks as i have had my toes amputated :cry: and will put alot of weight :wink: on as i dont do any other sport and will not be doing alot as i can barely walk. :o thanks for all replies.

Comments

• terra
    terra Posts: 32
    Castle Eden Walkway? It's nice and flat and can be reached by minor roads from Billingham
  • jacktheoc
    i was thinking of that but which roads? all i know is the one past the golden gates which will be quite hard going up that hill and it is a very busy road, i was thinking through norton and pst the big tesco but it is a lt longer and if i set off at 4:30 it will be getting dark by the time im at the other end of castle eden, thanks for reply.
  • terra
    Sorry I hadn't realised you would be riding on an evening. What about the track which goes to Greatham from Cowpen Bewley, it is mainly off road, make your way to Cowpen Bewley Village, take the road over the rail track, then the road on the right (which includes a short section of cycle track), cross the Seal Sands road and keep going straight ahead, crossing a footbridge onto a farm track. Follow this for a mile or so until you reach a tarmac road just outside Greatham.
  • jacktheoc
    ok thanks i know that track well i think is that the one near st michaels school, as it sounds like the cross country track i do at school.
  • terra
    Do you know about the off-road bridleways which run from the end of Station Road in Norton? One crosses the old Harpers golf course, through some fields and brings you out near Blakestone School; the other goes up what we used to call "the stoney bank" (good as a downhill when you are feeling fitter) and comes out near Northfield School in Billingham.
  • jacktheoc
    not really i know where the golf course is and i live opposite northfieldd school, i know where you mean station road is it down the bottom near where norton bike jumps are and the white farm are they any near there?
    thanks for reply
  • There is a decent cycle path that runs adjact to the A19, go up Portrack Lane, turn left @ Asda. Then head toward the Tees Barrage, turn left towards Newport Bridge,

Then you could either go straight onto Riverside ind.est or go up the access path onto Newport Bridge, go across then go left down the ramp, go under the Bridge again. Then back up the cycle path towards Tees Barrage.

If you feel up to a extra few miles, go straight to the Victoria Bridge on Bridge Road and cross over towards the Mecca Bingo, then back along the river path towards Tees Barrage and back home on the Cycle path left of the A19 to Norton/Billingham.

I live in Norton on Blakey and have tried and tested this route, Good thing is, nearly all traffic-free.
  • jacktheoc
    cheers for the routes geting the stitches out on tue so am going to have a ride around a few the weekend after hopefully, cheers again