Pedal Problems

mb-rider1991
mb-rider1991 Posts: 89
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Dose any one have any advise on removing a stuck kona pedal on a race face crank I think they where well over tightened. My tool just slips around.
What should I do??

Comments

• What tool are you using that just slips around? Presumably either the pedal or the tool (or both) is damaged to allow the slippage.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • the tool slips around the pedal and pedal its self it a little bit damaged from trying to remove
  • Okay... First off, stop trying to remove it using whatever tool it is you have - every time it slips it's damaging the pedal that bit more and making it that bit harder to remove.

So... Is it a spanner or allen key you're using? If it's a spanner, is it a "proper" one or one of those flat multi-spanner thingies? If it's really jammed, you need to make sure that whatever tool you're using is as close to a perfect fit as you can get. If you're struggling, I'd think about maybe taking the crank off the bike if you have some way of clamping it to a bench without damaging it. A good soak in Plus-Gas, WD40, GT85 or whatever you have to hand won't hurt either.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, you do know that the left pedal unscrews clockwise?
  • some one said to get a blowtorch to help losen it will this damage my crank arm and will it do the job ??
  • some one said to get a blowtorch to help losen it will this damage my crank arm and will it do the job ??
    The idea there is to heat the crank, causing the metal to expand and (hopefully) loosening it's grip on the pedal. Don't try it with the crank still on the bike. Depending on what you use to heat it and what measures you take to protect your crank it may or may not damage it, cosmetically at least. Yes it often works but it's a bit drastic at this stage.

To be honest, if you're not going to answer the questions I've already asked you in my last couple of posts I'm going to just leave you to it at this point.
  • ok im using a super B PEDAL SPANNER 14mm and yes i do no its colck wise
  • Okies - I would think that's probably 15mm, but I know what you're working with now. From a quick google, that's a double sided spanner - does it slip using both sides? Put each jaw over the flats - does it feel to grip the flats better with one side than the other? If one side feels to grip a lot better, use one hand to push the spanner onto the flats while turning with the other - stop as soon as it starts to slip.

Assuming it's loose on both sides, you need another spanner - simple as that. All the heating, lubrication and clever tricks in the world won't help if the spanner's not a good fit.
  • Both sides of my spanner are a poor fit I am going to see if i can borrow a big adjustable spanner of a friend which I think will work better p.s my pedal is only an axel now
  • Sounds like another spanner is the answer. I'd be VERY careful using an adjustable though, unless it's a decent quality one - get hold of the sliding jaw and see if it feels sloppy; if you can move it around more than a tiny amount without turning the adjustment screw, don't let it anywhere near your bike. Even if the pedal's wrecked already, you don't want to round the flats off completely... If it's a good adjustable, make sure it's adjusted to perfection before you try to turn the axle with it.

I reckon you'll get it off fine as soon as you've got something that'll grip it properly. I'm off to bed (work in the morning), but let us know how you get on.

Good luck! :mrgreen:
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Is it possible the pedal was put on cross threaded? If so that can 'freeze' into the crank. I would stay away from shifters you are more likely then not to do mor damage to the flats using it. Have you tried using an allen key as well as the spanner? Also suggest you put some penetrene or even wd40 on the threads and allow to sink in, it may help.

Its a good idea to put some quality grease on the pedal threads before putting them into the crank it helps avoid this sort of issue.

Cheers
  • Woo got it off with a pipe gripper
  • Woo got it off with a pipe gripper
    And there's a lesson for us all... Sometimes violence is the answer. :mrgreen: