forks air or coil

acac
acac Posts: 348
edited September 2007 in MTB general
am thinking of getting some new forks but dont know which to get coil or air got coil ones at moment but not very good on small stuff allright on bigger stuff would air forks be better ? thanks
play hard ride hard

Comments

• Air forks are usually the higher spec forks and depending which ones you go for can be a lot better than the coil equivalent.

What type of riding do you do?

What ones have you been looking at?
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • well this is a long debate, coil forks are heavier and have less adjustability, but have more plushness, air are the opposite and can be hard or soft within a few pumps.
    Coil=cheaper
    Air=more expensive

Depending on what forks you have at the moment and what type of riding you do it all depends, if you are a weight weenie then airs are a must if you are doing dj then air coil is you best option. If you dont have the money for airs go for coils in the 66 or totem range etc.

(sorry if any of that is wrong)
    http://ChristoGallagher.co.uk
    Supported by: FliDistribution.co.uk Solidbikes.de Oneal 2pure.co.uk Helitape.co.uk Scott MacPherson Photography Crank Brothers Pedros Clif Bar Lizard Skins Gamut USA Mtb-Essentials.co.uk
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    many coil forks have travel adjusters too, and tend to be 'plusher' than air forks.

What forks do you already have?
  • acac
    i was thinking of Rock Shox Revelation 426 U-Turn am not that heavy of a rider more of xc rider but like somethink that will take more then just xc rideing
    play hard ride hard
  • acac
    i have the splice super that came on my cannondale
    play hard ride hard
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nice fork the revaltion.

many many times better than the splice.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    As sonic says, coil forks are normally better on small stuff. Your forks are not very good and that's the issue, not whether they are coil or air.

The Revelations are great, or for a bit more the Fox 32 range (Vanilla coil, Float air, TALAS air adjustable travel) are excellent forks if a bit pricy.

The ultimate fork though *shameless self promotion* is the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 which I am selling (see susser link for pic) for £240 delivered if your interested. It's got a coil in one leg and a low pressure air spring in the other so it is very plush but fully user customisable.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    edited September 2007
    Sorry the revelations blow the AMs into the dirt.

just personal preferance. and i do like Marz forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Depends on how heavy you are, what sort of riding you use them for, how much faffing you want to do.
    I use long travel air forks on my fs & shorter travel air on my hardtail. I chose air because I’m light, they are light(ish) & you can fine tune them on the hoof for my weight/setup/the type of trail I’m riding. they took a while to set up exactly right initially, and they tend to need a bit of topping up after, for example, a week in the alps. They feel great most of the time.

My mate (bloke – 14stone) has coil. He had air before and much prefers the feel of coil especially over bigger drops and gnarly stuff (having tried some, I must say I prefer them too, front AND back). They are plusher, and once the correct spring was in, was a case of fit & forget. They’re a bit heavier, but depending on what you want to use your bike for, that may not matter. They seem more reliable, require less maintenance, last longer and take more of a beating.

So, basically, reckon it depends on your weight, your bike’s weight, your riding & your bank balance.

i'd vote for revelations, or pikes if you're after something a bit more robust.
  • I found my Totem Solo Air forks actually plusher than my Totem Coil forks because I can get the spring rate 100% right on the Air fork

with the Totem Coil fork I found the stock spring (medium) would blow through the travel way too easily when hucking drops or launching big gaps, but I found the firm spring felt very harsh on small bumps, tree roots and similar - when I went to Wales at Easter and rode the Whites Level Trail it felt very uncomfortable

the problem with coil forks is that you can fall between the spring rates, and you will never get it quite right - with air you have infinite adjustment and so this is not a problem

with a large air volume fork like the Fox 36, RS Lyric or RS Totem Solo the fork runs at lower pressures which means it can feel pretty plush
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • i've read of alot of problems with those totem coils. doesnt mean ALL coils are bad; people just seem to be having big issues with those in particular.
  • acac
    i think it will be the revelations but still cant make up my mine over coil or air i have seen the revelations coil for 249.00 and the air for 269.00 am only 10 stone they both good wights thanks for your input
    play hard ride hard
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    nicklouse wrote:

You're not helping me flog them with comments like that :cry:
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    Splasher wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

You're not helping me flog them with comments like that :cry:

then dont try and sell them in a topic asking for advice. as you will alway find differeing views on parts. :wink:
  • acac
    am now thinking of these what do you think in the u turn ones
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/Produc ... 4b18a0da62
    play hard ride hard
  • I'm a light rider (10.5 stone ish) and I had a similar dilemma. Air revelations or coil fox 32's. I ended up going for the Fox Vanilla R's and after finding the right spring for my weight (the lightest of the 3 supplied) I'm very happy with them. They're plush, require no faffing around with pumps, and I don't even bother altering the rebound, after finding a good compromise. If you like messing around with settings, save some weight and get the air revelations. If you're lazy, like me, get coil ones.
  • blurred
    blurred Posts: 123
    Pikes.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Depending on your riding style, I'd go for Rebas/Revelations personally, Merlin can do you a set of Rebas for about £210. I've had a set of Revelations (dual air), Toras (coils) and a few other random brands (Bomber airs and Suntour coils), out of all of it I rate the RockShox Dual Air as the best. Very smooth travel, very tweakable, no sticking at the top of the travel problems that single air have.

I plan on getting a pair of Rebas myself asap! :) Silly light yet stiff as well.