Frame size

jellybellywmb
jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited September 2007 in Road beginners
Went into an Evans cycles to get an idea of what frame size I would need as I am looking to buy a entry level Road Bike.
The guy said anything from a 52 inch to a 58 inch :? which I though was a bit of a wide variety , Is there really that much difference between different manufacturers??

I am 6ft tall but have shortish legs and currentky ride a Giant MTB which is a medium.
I am looking to but the Giant SCR 3.

Any help appreciated.
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• Depends totally on the brand. What you need to do is figure out your budget, prefered brand and then throw your leg over some bikes, take them for a ride and try them out for size.
  • That was my plan at Evans but they only had bikes starting at £800 and my budget is only 3-400£.

The only bike they gave me to sit over was a £3000 Bianci as it was on the end , and for some reason my wife made me get of it very quickly!!!
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    If that was what the guy at Evans told you he was talking out of his arse. Find another shop where they know something about bicycles.
  • hehe! can't say I'm surprised by your wife's reactions!!!

You will struggle a bit to find a good range of bikes (and a range of good bikes) at that price level.

THere are plenty around the £500 mark from the main brands. Might need to phone around some stores to find who's got a couple in stock.
  • You can get the giant scr3 2007 for £380 at www.wiggle.co.uk or for £350 at www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk. I purchased mine from the latter back in May and have been extremely happy with it going out and doing 30 mile + runs.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    In a sane world you would be allowed to shoot people through the lungs for giving "advice" like that.

I guess you are about a 56 but you will need to find a real bike shop to find out.

Cheers
    Steve
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    56 is my guess (and yes, that IS a guess for all of the above comments). I have long monkey-arms, so it's not just on your height.

For that price, have you thought about 2nd-hand?
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike