Should my Fox RP2 be oily?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm not entirely convinced that the Fox RP2 on my Meta 5.5.1 should be oily and continue to be so after several months of riding, and I have to pump it up every now and again, and it had a bottom bush disintegrate within not very much time at all. Is this standard for Fox shocks and should I ask for a new shock considering the bike was new in May?

As for handling I never seem to have got this bike totally dialled in and it seems a bit "bouncy" at times whatever combination of rebound I have. Am I just being paranoid or is it that rear shock? I have no previous experience of full-sussers having previously had an Orange P7 hardtail with totally dry and firm short-travel Marzocchis on the front.
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    should be a bit greasy but not oily.

when you say add air evey sooften how much?

greasy shock

img2007en5.th.jpg

dont forget that every time you connect the pump the presure drops 20-30 psi.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Every month or so it does with a top-up of maybe 20lbs. I'm quite heavy myself (83kg) and ride moderately rough stuff. Some people have told me they hardly ever have to top theirs up.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    20psi sounds just like the lose from the shock pump. or is this 20 on top of the 20-30 psi lose from just connecting the pump?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nicklouse

That pic of your rear shock is petty much what mine looks like so maybe mines ok after all. Yeh I'm just topping up with maybe 20lb too. It has started making a bit of a squidgy sound which I'm sure it didn' before but maybe that's normal too?

The only definite wear was the bottom bush on the RP2 which wore out within two months and which the LBS replaced free of charge. Other riders tell me this happens quite a bit with Fox shox!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1