Tight chain links

s1mon
s1mon Posts: 618
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a Shimano HG73 chain with about 5 tight links, tried cleaning it, flexing it and using a chain tool as per the Parktool site, I still can't get rid of them :x the bike is new as well only done about 20-30miles. Any other ways to remove them ???

Simon.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just got to persevere. But if the bike is new, take it back.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Have u tried flexing the stiff links in the chain after havin put some kind of penetrating lube like gt85 on it overnite?

usually this can be enough with a modern 8/9spd chain. I wouldnt recommend using a chain tool cos with shimano chains they have a special joining pin that is not very tolerant of bein adjusted once its been fitted because of the small flanges on either end to help it stop splitting.
  • s1mon
    Have u tried flexing the stiff links in the chain after havin put some kind of penetrating lube like gt85 on it overnite?
    Nope, will give it a try.

Would they loosen up with more riding ???

Simon.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    s1mon wrote:

Would they loosen up with more riding ???

Simon.

From experience mine dint no, the only way is to try and flex them out or VERY delicatley (cant exphasise very delicately enough) use a chain splitter tool and try to loosen them with that. Its a very delicate job with shimano chains so should be done carefully.

Just buy a SRAM chain and ditch the rubbish shimano one!!!! :D:D
  • s1mon
    Just buy a SRAM chain and ditch the rubbish shimano one!!!!
    Tried more flexing and oiling no luck so I went to my local Halfords and got Sram, nice a smooth now :lol:

Simon.