What Tools?

Robinio
Robinio Posts: 59
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
More stupid questions!

What tools are recommended for keeping at home and also taking on a ride out?

Comments

• allen keys, small screwdrivers, pump + puncture repair kit (not tecnically a tool). How far from the car are you going? I usually have a HUGE adjustable spanner, bb tool, chain splitter and crank extractor nearby too. Spoke keys are handy. oh, and ALLEN KEYS (again cos they round easily).

I probably missed stuff but hey.

most of the stuff you need could be found on a good multitool
  • Like one of the Alien tools?

At the moment I don't know but if I say bloody miles from the car then I can be prepared.
  • something like this should do for epic rides, maybe if you have room you could add the crank extractor cos they're small. And a pump and patches (and maybe a spare tube too)
  • garsr6
    garsr6 Posts: 135
    something like this should do for epic rides, maybe if you have room you could add the crank extractor cos they're small. And a pump and patches (and maybe a spare tube too)

please excuse my ignorance dude, but why a crank extractor on an epic or any ride for that matter? surely a crank extractor is a w/shop tool only? unless you carry spare cranks with ya? :wink:

and id definitaley recommend forking out for a good quality set of allen keys as they wont round off and wont round your bolts off if fitted correctly into the bolt. they will also last for years to come. :wink:
  • garsr6 wrote:
    please excuse my ignorance dude, but why a crank extractor on an epic or any ride for that matter? surely a crank extractor is a w/shop tool only? unless you carry spare cranks with ya? :wink:

and id definitaley recommend forking out for a good quality set of allen keys as they wont round off and wont round your bolts off if fitted correctly into the bolt. they will also last for years to come. :wink:

Ignorance excused, the reason for the crank extractor is down to a problem I used to have with chainsuck, basically its a tool that I'd rather have with me than not. And they're small enough anyway....

As for the allen keys, covered in suggested multitool I reckon, spare set for workshop :wink:
  • garsr6
    Ignorance excused, the reason for the crank extractor is down to a problem I used to have with chainsuck, basically its a tool that I'd rather have with me than not. And they're small enough anyway....

As for the allen keys, covered in suggested multitool I reckon, spare set for workshop :wink:

cool, i was just curious as iv never been told to carry one and i now see why you may need one( i think).

i agree with you on the multitool as i have one myself, but iv been through enough cheap allen key sets at work and on the bike to know that its def worth spending a few quid on good quality ones for workshop/home fettling as they are stronger and fit better+ they are prob the most used tools on a bike so its worth it. :D
  • So any reccomendations? I have a birthday coming up!
  • garsr6
    i dont have first hand experience with these but they should be top quality.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5786

i bought my set of allen keys individually(snapon) but they cost about 30 odd quid(off a rep on the cheap) and they get used on motorbikes alot so i can justify that price. and i know they gonna last a long time as snap on tools do.

park tools seem to be of good standard as i have a couple of bits n bobs and seem pretty good.

and i agree with all the other stuff that bhw suggested. :D

also i use sram chain and usually keep a powerlink from an old chain in my camelbak, very handy if you snap a chain. saves alot of time and gets you home without walking. :D
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Look at what's on your bike and don't get tools that don't match your needs. (That can help which multitool/alien/whatever you buy).

Unless, of course, you wanna make friends out on the trail. Then strap a full toolkit to your back! :D
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike