Chainsets.... Shimano XT M760 or Shimano XT M760

Noel PT
Noel PT Posts: 627
edited September 2007 in MTB general
Not sure guys I wanna get new wheels and BB.

I stumbled across the Shimano XT M760 at my local and again on the net. But they are very different prices.Are these the same Chainset or am I missing something?

The one is at Chain reaction and the other is at Cycle surgery. I would include the links but I dunno how to attach them.

Is there anyone that can tell me how to do it.

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    copy and paste from the navi bar.

CRC is likly to be the cheaper and will be old new stock from a bike producer IE. OE no box and no instructions and warrenty with CRC only.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Noel PT
    Thanks for that!

Seems so simple. But I just didn't think of it.

This is the Cycle Surgery Link

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/ProductDeta ... 1c45351099

And this is the chain reaction link.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3405

Thanks again.
  • nicklouse
    same crank set. but as above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Noel PT
    Nice one, I thought I was loosing it.

From what I hear its a good crankset, so I am glad I can get it cheaper than expected.

Anyone got an opinion on it?

I have also heard that the bearing wear fast... . . . .
  • nicklouse
    you will need to make sure that your bb has been faced.

some comment on the chain rings being a be soft but just replace as they wear.
  • Noel PT
    Facing is when the paint is removed, right? Is it tought to do.

I plan to put it on my speshi Rock Hopper.
  • nicklouse
    no facing is not removing paint. it is making sure every thing is aligned correctly. and requires about 600 quids of tools.
  • Noel PT
    Ok, I guess its worth the extra and just my local to do it for me.

Thanks for that otherwise I would be sitting with a bottom bracket and no way of fitting it. They just tried to sell me the tools for about £20 altogether. They never mentioned anything else.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Why not get the new 2008 xt chainset..its on the stif website for £95.95, it has stronger rings too...very nice indeed, ive just stuck one on my steed.

http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_optio ... uctid=5511
  • Noel PT
    That looks great but I dont have the tools.

Why is the 2008 cheaper than the 2007?

The 07 at cycle surgery was £145 and this one is £95.

But thanks for the heads up.

Did you fit yours yourself?
  • stu8975
    yep, tool will cost you £10 english pounds..retail on this years stuff is cheaper than the M760 XT kit (08' chainset is £120 full price - but who ever pays that?)..tool can be found at crc

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10179

only thing to watch out for is the tensioning cap bit, its only plastic (as is the shimano one) and is easy to round the allen key fitting on it, i use a small spanner to do mine up, doesnt have to be mega tight as its mainly used to push the l/h crank arm on then secured with two allen key bolts.
  • Noel PT
    Thanks for that mate.

I'm a little hesitant to fit it myself. My local said they would fit it for about 15 quid. But they are selling the 07 and after reading your reply I am keen to get the 08.

I wonder if its cheeky to buy the 08 and take it for them to fit?

I suppose there is only one way to find out....
  • stu8975
    its very easy to fit if you have the tools, although you will need the tools to remove your old chainset and bb and if you dont have them its just a waste of money buyin them as you wont use them again, if any of your cycling buddies are knowledgeable they might be able to save you the 15quid fitting costs, its literally a case of putting the two bb cups in (they are labelled l and r so its pretty much fool proof)and siliding the r/h crank through then attach l/h crank, job done.
  • Noel PT
    I am gonna get onto my local forum to find out if anyone has a tool to lend me. The only reason I was hesitant was cause the chainreactin website said to get a shop to do it first time because they need to be faced properly.

But I really could not be asked to pay basiclly £30 extra for a substandard chainset.

I'll give it a go and if I cant I will get the local to do it.

Now all I gotta do is decide on wheels.
  • stu8975
    As far as facing your bb shell goes, its important to get everything correctly aligned, however, ive never met anyone who has bothered to have it done, im on my 3rd chainset on my current bike and havent had it done and have never experianced any problems, neither has anyone who i ride with and they all use hollowtech 2 chainsets with external bb's. But the descision is yours.
  • Noel PT
    Thanks mate. I think I am gonna take the chance and do it myself, if I can find someone I know with the old tool.

I am looking forward to some new parts on my bike.
  • I paid my local shop £15 to face and fit my XT chainset.It would have been more to aquire the tools and I still would have needed to get the bb faced anyway.

Very pleased with mine.Its the older M760,but very stiff,and has been reliable.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • stu8975 wrote:
    As far as facing your BB, im on my 3rd chainset on my current bike and havent had it done.

You could still be on your 1st chainset if had got it done.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • nicklouse
    stu8975 wrote:
    As far as facing your bb shell goes, its important to get everything correctly aligned, however, ive never met anyone who has bothered to have it done, im on my 3rd chainset on my current bike and havent had it done and have never experianced any problems, neither has anyone who i ride with and they all use hollowtech 2 chainsets with external bb's. But the descision is yours.

not met anyone who has not had the bb faced, it is also required by shimano.
  • stu8975
    skyliner wrote:
    stu8975 wrote:
    As far as facing your BB, im on my 3rd chainset on my current bike and havent had it done.

You could still be on your 1st chainset if had got it done.

Im on my 3rd chainset purely out of upgrades, there hasnt been anything wrong with the ones i replaced.
  • get it faced at the LBS but fit it yourself.
    you've got an excuse not to face it yourself, the tools are too expensive - but the tools for fitting it aren't so.