I feel like I'm a proper cyclist now

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
I've just been out for a ride with all my winter gear on - shorts with leggings over the top, fleecy base layer plus jersey, winter gloves, feet warmer things - and now I feel like a proper, dedicated cyclist. It was breezy, cool and there was a smell of bonfires and autumn in the air. It was lovely to be out on the roads as the sun went down. Through the "summer" months it was usual to pass many cyclists but now I'm lucky if I see one or two. I feel like I'm part of the hard core now.
:D

I still need a thin hat for under my helmet. My head was a wee bit chilly.

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Think it's the thought of going out in the cold that puts alot of people off.But as you say once your out and about it's never as bad as you thought. Doesn't take much to put some people off though. By the way Aldi are selling skull caps for £4.99 tomorrow ,if you live near to one might be worth a look.
  • Crap though 1st time in fleecy tights - don't half itch. I marvel at just how good proper cycling kit is, so easy to adjust for each temperature band so you feel about right - its the wind and cold rain though uurrhhh. Get out on the lanes after dark, even familiar places seem very new and other-worldly. Alway pick the couple of hours after the rush and before the drunks turn out!

Don't know about anyone else but I have not found a so called breathable top that works - alway balloon up and get sweaty.
  • welcome to the elite club...i spit on those fair weather cyclists!
    dangerous jules.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I was out today, too. OOH it was chilly! I did 85k around North East Fife; beautiful countriside, crisp sunny sky, pheasants scattering in front of me. Strange to be riding under two layers and still feeling stiff and cold.

I got really bad cramp on the way home - probably something to do with the cold.

Anyway, roll on the winter months; somehow it feels even better on a dark night to have been out on the bike during the day.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Think I might have to gear up for winter soon. I did notice the cold on my way home from work at about 7pm; still wearing shorts and a thin summer top.
    Once I warmed up it was fine.
  • Ha ha, I'm feeling exactly the same, went out for a short pootle as sun was going down wearing long shorts teamed with my nice new Foska Bones jacket. (That was the reason for the ride really, new jacket!) Hmm, fleecy comfy warm although was riding most of ride with it quarter zipped. Then stopped off at a mate's place for a yap then left in the dark and couldn't resist a lap of the town, in the dark, lights flashing, comfy jacket zipped, watching the police ignoring the lightless bmx bandits loitering around the streets :roll:

This time last year (pre taking up riding) I'd be sat inside, wrapped up, feeling cold. Next purchase - gloves to replace the mitts though! :D

I deem myself an associate member of 'the club' now!
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    welcome to the elite club...i spit on those fair weather cyclists!

what?? - today WAS fair weather - it still september you know!!

see how well your nice winter gear fares in the middle of january when it's 3degrees, 35mph winds and horizontal sleet.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Lovely 3-layer weather after 8pm tonight in south cheshire - the full moon came up and the drizzle faded away. Perfect for an hour to blast away the cobwebs.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    It was blimmin freezing but absolutely stunning down here in Wales.

Really really clear and crisp air, with stunning views and a bueatifal sunset.

I prefer going out in winter- the roads are quieter and yes it's much more Elitist :D
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    I hear you are not a proper cyclist until you feel there is a need to shave your legs
    jc
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I like winter riding, especially when it's really cold and dry! The only thing I don't like is the huge transition between my summer bike and my winter bike - the shock of having to lug those extra few kilos up the hills really hurts first time out.

I'm going to be putting my lights onto my mountain bike which I also use for evening scoots of up to 15m this weekend. I think that 5 bikes is enough to cover all seasons (although I'd really like a cyclo-cross bike, I just think that they look brilliant with their chunky tyres and suicide brakes!)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • It's soooo freezing out there at the moment. Thes best bit of winter kit I invested in was a new turbo.

Having said that Autumn weekends are lovely out and about on the bike. There are less 'fairweathers' clogging up the lanes where I live going slowly :lol:

The only bit I dont like is taking 2 hours to get my kit on and off with all these layers.
  • McBain_v1
    You should only need two layers (merino wool underlayer, e.g. Icebreaker 260 full sleeve) and then your jersey (Gore Tool jersey for me, it's almost too warm!). Mind you, now that I'm getting old I must confess to wearing a buff around my neck to keep the drafts out :oops:

• I love it. Some of my favourite riding is done on those bone dry crystal clear (but very cold) winter days. It's just like riding in the summer, except for the temperature :lol:

But keeping those pedals turning throughout the winter is the key to being better the next summer.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    jc4lab wrote:
    I hear you are not a proper cyclist until you feel there is a need to shave your legs

shaving's for girls! REAL men wax.
  • magibob
    magibob Posts: 203
    NEWBIE QUESTION!

Why a winter bike? What's the difference/

Andy
  • Magibob wrote:
    Why a winter bike? What's the difference/Andy

just to save everyone tyoing it all out again :lol::wink:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... inter+bike
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • I have joined the Buff revolution recently. Very practical.

I would love to be able to afford Gore and Merino wool :roll:
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    winter clothing- bib tights on there own, then a helly hansen short sleeve base layer, short sleeve summer jersey (wicks really well), long sleeve jersey- if really cold a gilet as well.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • I love it. Some of my favourite riding is done on those bone dry crystal clear (but very cold) winter days.

Same here. Mind you, today was very cold. And it tanked down all day on the Moors :(
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    clanton wrote:
    jc4lab wrote:

Real men use an angle grinder - or at least a planer !
  • nickcuk wrote:
    clanton wrote:
    jc4lab wrote:

Real men use an angle grinder - or at least a planer !

I set fire to them then beat the flames out with a lump hammer :P
    Good Luck and Be Fecund
  • McBain_v1
    Surely duct tape is the Man's way to "wax" :?: