Re-tensioning spokes?

scotttomo
scotttomo Posts: 531
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all :) . I keep reading bout people re-tensioning thier spokes and as i understand it this is basically truing it? Right? If not then what's it about, just keeping the wheel it's strongest? And how often should i do this? That's if i can? Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, i just wanna try and learn as many things as i can bout servicing and what not. What with my LBS chargin 100 quid for a full service :shock: i'm keen to learn as much as i can.
Cheers and thanks for readin
Scott.
"If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have read of the wheels section of sheldon brown. linky below.

retensioning is not always retruing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Internet is great for turning fiction into fact. The more you see people writing something the more it becomes believable.

A well built wheel does not need retensioning, but people seem to think it's a standard maintenance routine. However...

With poorly built wheels some rectification work is usually necessary and there are a lot of people fettling poor wheels and talking about it creating the myth that retensioning is a required operation on all wheels.

--
    Roger