Ranking :)

It would be nice to see some sort of ranking system on the forum, like stars, or names...

...for example... if you were new, have the title newbie, and if you had posted millions of threads and posts, then you are called a mtb god, or something like that... it would make it a bit more exciting...

...southern downhill do it, it looks funky...

Thanks

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    yer but then you will have people posting useless crap just to make sure they are not a n00b.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    personally like would like things like that gone. and no post count either.

the number of posts someone has has no realation to anything other than they send alot of time on a pc. with access the the net.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I can understand why... The ranking business just makes me want to post and post...
  • nicklouse wrote:

the number of posts someone has has no realation to anything other than they send alot of time on a pc. with access the the net.
    What Nicklouse said. The only forum ranking worth having is the respect of your peers - death to post counts!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Shadowduck wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

What Nicklouse said. The only forum ranking worth having is the respect of your peers - death to post counts!

I certainly agree with that. It's difficult to come up with a sensible ranking system that actually works.

Some other forums I've been have had different ideas. IMHO The best one that I have come across removed all rankings/ ratings from the posts. The information was still used and could be seen on users profiles if you bothered to look.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    you could do a rating on who has been on the forums the longest as in when they registered or how much time they spend on here
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dan67 wrote:
    you could do a rating on who has been on the forums the longest as in when they registered or how much time they spend on here
    but again what would that mean? look at me?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dan67 wrote:
    You could, but who really cares?

Assuming you post often enough that people recognise your name, they'll soon decide whether your ramblings are worth reading or not. Anything else is just meaningless stats.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nick, only a 100 or so to go!

;-)