Valverde to ride Worlds

phil s
phil s Posts: 1,128
edited September 2007 in Pro race
Just flashed up on L'equipe...

Coup de théâtre mercredi à Stuttgart. Sollicité par lé fédération espagnole de cyclisme, le TAS a finalement autorisé Alejandro Valverde à prendre le départ des championnats du monde, qui se disputent actuellement en Allemagne. Le coureur ibérique, soupçonné d'être impliqué dans l'affaire Puerto, avait dans un premier temps été interdit de participation par l'Union cycliste internationale (UCI).

L'instance internationale considère en effet qu'il est «vraisemblable» et «difficilement contestable» l'identification entre Valverde, son surnom «Piti» (le nom de son chien) et une poche de sang confisquée par les enquêteurs de Puerto qui contient de l'EPO exogène. Deuxième en 2004 et 2005, troisième en 2006, Alejandro Valverde est traditionnellement l'un des grands favoris des Mondiaux.
-- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Not a surprising verdict from CAS IMO.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Not only is it not surprising, it is also the correct one. Valverde's only 'crime' is to be Spanish and to have ridden for Kelme as far as I can see.
  • iainf72
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/New ... 46074.html

It gets worse and worse.

Pat ringing Eddy etc.

Jan bleeding Ullrich - this is all your fault.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/News_Valverde_Can_Race_World_Championships_article_146074.html

It gets worse and worse.

Pat ringing Eddy etc.

Is Jan Ullrich the only german to have doped?.
    Thought Sinkewitz tested positive this year?....must have been my imagination!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/News_Valverde_Can_Race_World_Championships_article_146074.html

It gets worse and worse.

Pat ringing Eddy etc.

Is Jan Ullrich the only german to have doped?.
    Thought Sinkewitz tested positive this year?....must have been my imagination!

Jan was a national hero. First German to win the Tour and basically a household name. Then they found out he was just as rotten as the rest of them and it appears the Germans feel betrayed / foolish. I remember when those B sample tests of Armstrongs showed up EPO the Bild or a similar German red top pronouced Jan the winner of a few additonal tours.

Sinketwitz was nothing.
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Has Jan Ullrich ever been found guilty of doping?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    His blood was matched to bags found in Dr Fuentes possession in Spain. He retired before disciplinary actions could be initiated.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I think Valverde should have been prevented from starting untila DNA test is done. I don't trust him, but I hardly trust any of them...they have killed much of my interested in the sport
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    not to mention the money transfers from Ullrich's bank account to that of Fuentes and subsequent cash withdrawals and trips to Madrid coinciding with dates found in Fuentes' flat. He retired before being sanctioned by the UCI but the sporting fraud case against him is ongoing, hence the grwoing mountain of proof against him.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    I think Valverde should have been prevented from starting untila DNA test is done. I don't trust him, but I hardly trust any of them...they have killed much of my interested in the sport

Oh get over it... Its a spectacle now.