Headset Grit

omblae
omblae Posts: 206
edited October 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently fitted a new headset to my frame. It's an FSA the Pig bmx style headset, for use with a 1.1/8 steerer. Now however, the forks don't spin freely on their own, instead they stop after about two revolutions. I can hear a gritty sort of noise inside the headset, i think there might be some grit in there but i was told this was not a major problem?

The bearings are the right way round as are all the seals. I was thinking about sticking some more grease on them to see if that makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ben Bramhill</i>

On upgrades? Pay someone œ90 to take it away.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Strip it out, make sure the cups are seated properly, and then put back together after a clean and grease.
  • omblae
    supersonic wrote:
    Strip it out, make sure the cups are seated properly, and then put back together after a clean and grease.

Cheers yeah that's what i thought, would you know if it mattered whether there was any sand/grit inside?
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ben Bramhill</i>

• supersonic
    It wont be good for the cups and bearings.
  • omblae
    If i completely cover it in grease hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if there is grit in there it will be an issue.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    omblae wrote:
    I recently fitted a new headset to my frame. It's an FSA the Pig bmx style headset, for use with a 1.1/8 steerer. Now however, the forks don't spin freely on their own, instead they stop after about two revolutions. I can hear a gritty sort of noise inside the headset, i think there might be some grit in there but i was told this was not a major problem?

The bearings are the right way round as are all the seals. I was thinking about sticking some more grease on them to see if that makes a difference.

Any help would be much appreciated.

your headset could be to tight.

Dennis noward
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    How do you get them back out once they are in, a headset that is :?
  • supersonic
    Headset remover tool.
  • deanvw
    deanvw Posts: 412
    or. seat post and hammer, take stem off put seat into headtube and rest on the bearing cup, hit with mallet then when loose turn the seastpost to the other side and it should just fall out.