Free OS maps

Buckle
Buckle Posts: 90
edited November 2007 in MTB rides
Not sure if anyone has seen this but here you go, just in case!

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/
Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...

Comments

• Well it seems just like Streetmap or Multimap unless I am doing something wrong - not much use for mtbing
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Well it seems just like Streetmap or Multimap unless I am doing something wrong - not much use for mtbing

I am pretty sure that one particular resolution fo multimap does now use OS stuff with contours etc, but it hasn't always.
    Fat bloke, on a nice-ish bike.
  • Oh well, I just happened to come across it. Thought it might be useful to someone.
    :)
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • garsr6
    garsr6 Posts: 135
    i thought 1;50000 os maps were the standard? what more do you need? i use os online maps all the time and they are perfect for finding my way around the highlands and its myriad of tracks/trails through the mountain ranges and forests.

unless theres something better i dont know about??
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    1:25K explorer maps? They show more detail but cover a smaller area.

exp_extract_sm.jpg
  • You say you use OS maps on-line all the time. I've come across Memory Map that you have to pay a fair bit for but can you actually download free OS maps somewhere? That cover a reasonable area I mean? (I have of course done that thing where you print off Multimap or whatver a few times and join all the bits of paper together - or is there a better way of doing it?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • gregsd
    OS protect their copyright vigorously, so you won't find 'free' OS maps on-line. Just like you won't find free OS paper maps!

If you want a cheaper version to MemoryMap or Tracklogs than have a look at Quo. You can download the software for free and only pay £16 for a 1:25k 40km sq tile or £6 for 6 1:50k 40km sq tiles. You can then print them out when every you want.
  • garsr6
    yeah i usually print a few sheets and put em together. and they do 1:25000 too but i would need about 30 bits of paper for some of the routes i do.

i suppose if you knew what you were doing(which i dont) it should be possible to save 4-6 sections of a map from os onto your compooter,chop the surrounds off then put em together(somehow) then print onto a4 sheet?? if someone knows how to do this please let me know :D:lol:

i have been using os maps for 15years and they have done me fine.

also all the hillwalkers i know use 1:50000, i have never had the use for 1:25000 maps although theres always a few tracks that aint on 1:50000 but i suppose different areas may require the use of 1:25000. i just dont need em where i am.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Use print scrren and then photoshop/ publisher or some other similar bit of software to crop and join them together.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • garsr6
    yeah brasso i have it in my head what to do but im a noob to pcs(old dog new tricks and all that) il try it and see what i come up with. :D

cheers bud
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    I have found it quicker to use a scanner and scan a proper map in and then laminate it at work or just colour photocopy the bit I want for the ride, saves me trashing the original and clatting about with all the effort of joining a million and one pictures together which is nice as its cheap if you don't consider the time it takes.

That said, If 1:50k maps are ok for you. Try multimap as you can get bigger areas (I think) and use a similar technique to join them up.

Also if i remember correctly you can right click and save the files from the os site (as gifs)makes them easier to stick together.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • If all you need is 1:50k maps streetmap is the way to go, after getting to the right location and zoom level for the OS maps click on the 'large map' button at the bottom to get a 5 x 5 grid square map, larger than pretty much any of the other 'freebies'.

e.g. http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=430 ... search.srf
    Fat bloke, on a nice-ish bike.
  • gregsd
    The OS have just released OS Explore -
    explore is a new beta application from Ordnance Survey, allowing you to create and share your routes with the world, and join in with ones that already exist

Based around OS 1:50k maps you can draw and share routes, so no need to screen grab them!
  • Low tech solution:

A lot of local libraries have a complete collection of OS maps. Just copy the bits on a photocopier!