How do you get out of SPD pedals?

LaurenceGough
LaurenceGough Posts: 218
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
How do you get out of SPD pedals (the Shimano PD-M520's)? Twist your foot? Tip your foot?

How long does it take to get used to them and get out of them when you do?

Thanks!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    twist.

but it depends on the cleats used. some can be pulled out at more angles than others. also the spring tension can be adjusted on the pedal allowing differing degrees of force to retain the shoe.

some time.... practice while leaning agains some thing and unclip early if tired.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Humm sounds good in that case. So the tension has nothing to do with the overall travel but just on how much force is needed to get out of them.

Great, thanks!
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    edited September 2007
    Hi,

Ive just moved over to spds, on mine you get out of them by twisting your foot horizontally to the side. You can adjust the force of which the peddles release easily by an alan key.

At first i had the pedals set to release very easily and i had only 2 misshapps when i took the wrong foot off and leant the other way :lol: ended up with me in front of my girlfreind looking like a plonker. Its been about a month now and i have tightened them up and have had no more incidents. They have definately improved my riding and i really recomened them depending on what your planning on riding,

Russ
  • Ahh great guys! I'll probably get them in that case!

Does anyone know if the M520 Pedals will fit my Mongoose Tyax Elite?
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    Aslong as your current pedals on the bike undo i should think they would, its a standard thread size i think?
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Yet another upcoming member of the 'slow motion topple' club :D:D its frustrating but u soon get the hang of spuds, after a while u really wonder how u managed riding without them.
  • Haha I hope I don't fall over with it. Considering I haven't yet on my Tyax elite! :).

Currently I have the standard "Mongoose logo alloy platform".

Bottom Bracket: Tange sealed cartridge

Crankset: SR/Suntour XCC-150 42/32/22T

Can anyone tell me they know it will fit?[/b]
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Pedals only have one size of bolt. Some fit with a spanner, some with an Allen key.

except 1 piece cranks....

and really old french ones....

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#pedal
  • I always find going over the handlebars is a good way of getting out of SPDs.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Haha I hope I don't fall over with it.

Famous last words there :) If I do fall off with spds its normally slow speed panicking that takes me off, normally while shouting rude things at top volume, you have time to get a good few in before you hit the floor.

Strangely hitting roots badly at sub walking speed is the only danger for me :!:
  • Pedals will fit, you will fall over.
    Sorted. :D
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • FWIW i've just made the transition and put clipless on my mtb.
    overall impression is that i have fallen over a couple of times in as many rides since i've had them on, contrary to what I thought I would. But it's always at zero speed so doesn't hurt. The advantages of the fact that you can't get shaken off your foot position on technical stuff and you don't spend ages getting the right foot position in the first place outweigh the disadvantages of the odd 'clipless moment'.
    To be fair what put me off is the thought of being more hesitant and unclipping and pushing difficult sections that I would normally try and ride and usually succeed. But I only made one such stop, and that was mainly 'cos there was a ped holding a baby right in the middle of a mini rock garden that was also very muddy*. (grrrr, peds! could rant all day about them though so won't start.)

edit: *the rock garden, not the baby
  • bryanm wrote:
    Pedals only have one size of bolt. Some fit with a spanner, some with an Allen key.

except 1 piece cranks....

and really old french ones....

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#pedal
    I noticed when i got some M540s for my road bike (for only £26!) that they can't be tightened with a normal pedal spanner, you need a large allen key round the back. I think this is purely for aesthetic purposes, so they have a 'clean and smooth' looking shaft, and for snob value over people with M520s :D
  • langy
    langy Posts: 7
    Might be worth taking a read of this thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12535011

Quite amusing :lol:
    Night riding is the way to go....
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I always find going over the handlebars is a good way of getting out of SPDs.

I've used this method a couple of times. Works well, but hurts a little :evil:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team