The Puerto / Valverde / UCI circus continues

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited September 2007 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... sep19news2

Even I'm losing the will to live over this one.

If the court confirmed the documents are no usable, why did they ever give them to the UCI?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    It also shows that the National Federations are not the best placed to determine disciplinary proceedings. Maybe there are some big names in the Federation who have got things to hide themselves re. organised doping, etc....
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Could we not get that nutbag Fr. Horan to step out in front of Valverde in Salzburg while carrying a home-made placard proclaiming that "Pat MCQuaid is the Second Coming"?

At this point, I don't think there is a single cast member of this sorry soap opera that I would ever tire of slapping.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    There seems to be scope to take advantage of the gap between what national courts regard as a prosecutable offense and what the sport's world authority regards as one.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    It's incredible how the actions of the Spanish Federation and the Spanish Superior Council for Sport only support the theories according to which they are trying to cover up the Valverde case. I thought these stories were a bit much at first, but can only agree with them now.

Valv.Piti: exactly how much clearer should it be for some kind of investigation to take place.
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137
    :D LangerDan, I'm with you!
    UCI, slap. ASO, slap. Dick Pound, slap. Pro Peleton, slap, slap, slap.
    Spanish Federation, slap, slap, slap, slap. Pro Cycling, slap, slap, slap, slap, slap.
    etc. etc. etc.
    I say what I like and I like what I say!
  • More on this here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... erde_dna07

If I was Valverde and I was innocent I'd get the comparison done and put an end to the speculation that was tainting my career and stopping me from riding key events. Of course I'm not him and my living doesn't depend on it.
  • iainf72
    Would Lissavetzky change his position though? If he's arguing with the UCI saying there is no case to answer and in his opinion there is no need to do a DNA test, then it's unlikely it could happen.
  • iainf72
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Sho ... 44759.html

I thought this part was interesting

The block in the pipe is in Spain where there are fears that if Valverde goes down the lid will have to be lifted on the rest of the information in those 6,000 pages. And, so the strong rumour goes, that could point fingers in the direction of other, more powerful sporting bodies. The time bomb goes on ticking.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Would Lissavetzky change his position though? If he's arguing with the UCI saying there is no case to answer and in his opinion there is no need to do a DNA test, then it's unlikely it could happen.

But until it does, the suspicion will remain. It's a bit like a kid caught stealing sweets; if he's asked to empty his pockets, and he refuses, then it's highly likely he's got something to hide, not that he hasn't got a case to answer.

I've been very critical of the UCI about many things, but I agree with their stand this time. They have suspicions and (they say) evidence, Valverde can clear himself but he refuses, and so nobody is satisfied.

This whole thing says two things to me: Valverde has something to hide about himself, Lissavetzky has something to hide about Spanish sport...
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    looks like it will go before the CAS http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/13353.0.html
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    Valverde takes a quick DNA test and there's no more problem. Alejandro should have suggested this a long time ago but like everyone before him, he just says he's "tranquilo"...

...Like Basso who used exactly the same adjective in Italian before he was exposed as a cheat and liar.
  • iainf72
    The Spanish must be under a lot of pressure from someone. Remember when Fuentes said that he'd been threatened to make sure he kept quiet. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a cyclist or cycling manager doing the threatening.
  • iainf72
    Oooh, the Australian federation are reacting the same as the Spanish when requested to leave Allan Davis out of the squad.
  • That's disappointing. Sometimes you wonder if anybody is learning anything from all of this.
  • iainf72
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oooh, the Australian federation are reacting the same as the Spanish when requested to leave Allan Davis out of the squad.

So what's the deal with Allan Davis - he is implicated in Puerto because he rode for Saiz at Liberty Seguros at the time Puerto broke. Is there anything more concrete against him than this?

He has been reported to have offered his DNA for comparison on several occassions, but the UCI has not taken up his offer. Why are they stalling if his intentions to clear his name are true?
  • iainf72
    He was implicated right at the beginning and cleared along with Contador.

AFAIK, the UCI have no access to the blood from the case and couldn't test again it. This is why they're saying the Spanish minister could use his influence to get access to the blood to test Valverdes DNA against it. Valverde could shove a pile of his hair into Pat McQuaid mouth and Pat still wouldn't have access to perform a DNA test.
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    iainf72 wrote:
    Valverde could shove a pile of his hair into Pat McQuaid mouth and Pat still wouldn't have access to perform a DNA test.

I doubt he would want to do that, valv.piti doesn't have much hair left :lol:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • iainf72
    phil s wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Valverde could shove a pile of his hair into Pat McQuaid mouth and Pat still wouldn't have access to perform a DNA test.

I doubt he would want to do that, valv.piti doesn't have much hair left :lol:

heh - I orginally put "he could gob in Pat's face", but wasn't sure that would provide enough DNA.
  • Bronzie wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

So what's the deal with Allan Davis - he is implicated in Puerto because he rode for Saiz at Liberty Seguros at the time Puerto broke. Is there anything more concrete against him than this?

He has been reported to have offered his DNA for comparison on several occassions, but the UCI has not taken up his offer. Why are they stalling if his intentions to clear his name are true?

In document 23 of the puerto files it says he used EPO and IGF-1.

He probably dosn't have a blood bag, but that dosn't mean he is innocent.