Hydraulic brakes on Mongoose

spqr
spqr Posts: 41
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I've got a Mongoose Tyax Elite '07. It has disc brakes but I want to put hydraulic brakes on it.

If this is possible can people suggest some possiblities at a reasonable, give the actuall price of the bike :wink:

Cheers,

Spqr

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shimano deore or Avid Juciy 3. You will need new shifters though, as your existing brake levers are attatched to the shifters.
  • I fired some Juicy 3s on mine and they're class. Got SRAM Attack triggers for shifting, also class. Get some cable ties for the rear brake hose and you're set.

Watch yourself if you're replacing the brake rotors. They're fastened with allen bolts (rather than Torx) which aren't the best quality so be careful you don't round any out like I did.
  • spqr
    spqr Posts: 41
    That's great, will look into those, especially with the winter coming up.

Spqr
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Are the rotors with the decors center lock of 6 bolt on CRC?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Yeah I have to say. The most disappointing thing on the Tyax is the brakes. Where is the power?! Even my cheap 50-100 pound bike had disk brakes that squeezed from both sides -_-.

Is it just me? Or are both of my disk brakes seemingly off center. It seems the disk gets pushed all the way right to the other side before it makes contact with the other one. Like a 3mm gap! With only 0.3mm on the driven side! I almost hit a damn car today because I got my pinkie trapped behind the brake lever in a panic and the damn thing wouldn't stop because normally I have to stick at least 4 fingers on the lever and pull it all the way back to stop.

Anything I can do guys, without paying loads for hydraulics?
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • supersonic
    Sounds like you havent set them up properly. They need realighning, 3mm gap is too large. You have a static pad adjsuter as well.
  • Yeah but both? And Wiggle says there pre rid and pre checked... Would you like me to take a picture?

I have one? You mean as in it's on the brake cover (on the calliper)!!!

Wow!

I'll await your response and if you need a picture I'll go take one and check that at the same time!

I guess you would need a hex key?
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• supersonic
    You can adjust one pad with the adjuster wheel, the other with cable tension. Park tools has a good generic guide on how to align the caliper, and how to adjust the pads.
  • Yep got it mate, I done it about 15 mins ago :D. So easy how the hell didn't I see it before.

Anyway now I get full power at half way pull it's so damn awesome! I've just cleaned them with my Muc off disk brake cleaner again also. Hope it helps more can't harm it right?

Thanks again mate! Now if only I could sort out that shock problem ;P.
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• supersonic
    Hehe. Suprising what you can do with a tinker - you will have to adjust the pads as they wear though.
  • Yeah, and I call myself a fiddle with it until you break it kinda guy. Maybe because it was new and susposedly "tested by wiggle" My other fave hobbies are computing modding (speed outta PC's etc) and RC helicopter flying (ask anyone into them this is the most tweaking you can ever do) now you can see why! :P

No problem, I'll keep this in my mind for sure.

Anyway not to thread-jack. But thanks.
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• pdrolo
    pdrolo Posts: 127
    I have had diffuculty with the tyax elite disc brakes - at first they seemed very fierce -and a shot ovet over the bars a couple of times, and could barley apply the rear break without doing a skid.

But now there it a lot of travel in the lever before the break bites - my mate reckons this a better set up, as I can feather the brakes - but coming from a road background don't like travel in brakes...

Wot should I do ?
    Roadie with an MTB

www.cyclestuff.org.uk
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try adjusting the reach of the lever too suit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The standard brakes aren't that harsh. They won't pitch you over the bars unless you really grab them. If I was you I'd adjust the pads or cable tension so the levers bite quickly, and practice your braking technique. If you're not already, try using just one or two fingers on the lever as it's easier to initially apply gentle pressure this way.