A broken man...

Hotblack Desiato
Hotblack Desiato Posts: 136
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
Training for some duathlons next year and did my first full race distance training session this morning.

I am now officially broken. As far as I can see, the only sensible thing to do now is refuel with the 2 bottles of Barolo looking at me from across the room. eat-drink-smiley-5152.gif

My Bikes:

Road
Dirt
Fast

Comments

• JUst out of interest what is a duathalon - bike and swim or bike and run - I hate water!!!
  • The 2 bottles of wine doesn't ssem so clever right now as I'm pulling on the shorts for a 2 hour ride in the rain confused-smiley-17433.gif

Duathlon is Run / Bike / Run. I'm training for 10K / 40K / 5K

Individual distances are fine but it's a whole different game when strung together. T2 is particularly fun as the old legs really don't want to run after a 40K ride.
    My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As well as doing full-distance training, also look to do some 'brick' sessions involving run/bike/run/bike/run e.g. find a circuit where you can bike and run and simulate transitions between each phase e.g. warm-up well / run 1 mile / bike 5 miles / run 1 mile / bike 5 miles / run 1 mile / bike 5 miles / run 1 mile. Don't worry about outright speed, but work on maintaining the effort between disciplines in particular, chopping your stride at the start of the run to slowly stretch your hamstrings. If you practise this beforehand it won't be a shock come raceday.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Cheers Monty.

I've got some 'brick' sessions penciled in for when the fast approaching inclement weather puts me off long riding sessions.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Bit of a wide shot here but if running is about 4x as energy intensive as cycling, I wonder if training for 100K / 70mile rides would give any benefits ? I.e. a few 80+ mile rides - would that kind of cross-training be useful ? Imagine doing a really good 40k on the bike, with only average running times - maybe a winning formula ?
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    I reckon that one of the things to consider here is the total time you're going to be competing. I'm doing a short duathlon soon (my first), and still not sure whether I'm up to it. The training hasn't really gone to plan (mainly being lazy), but I've got some long runs in the bank, which is my primary sport, and a few 2 1/2 to 3 hour bike rides in so hopefully I'll at least finish the event.