Upgrade to LX hollowtech cranks

milkywhite
milkywhite Posts: 534
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been thinking about changing my cranks/BB for one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7251

but I've got a couple of questions that you kind people may be able to help with.

Firstly, is the BB actually an integral part of the crankset on this model, as that's what it looks like from the picture?

Facing the frame has been mentioned in a couple of similar threads. Would my frame need facing(Trek Fuel 80 2006), and what exactly does facing involve?

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    faceing should be done as shimano require it. now your frame may have been done already but it needs checking. LBS job.

yes the bb come with it.

the xale is part of the drive side crankset

the cups and bearings are seperatly available.

like this
    11725.jpg

these are not for an MTB as the drive side thread is longer on the mtb versions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cheers Nick. I just had a look on Park tools and facing involves pretty much what I expected.

Do the cups and bearing not come with the Crank/BB? They're pictured on the item dexcription.
  • Go for the Deore set up with 'old fashioned' octalink bottom bracket.
    External bottom brackets aren't there yet.
    Had my B/B faced and the XT bearings only lasted 3 months and I'm a steady XC rider.
    Deore is the best value for money anywhere.
    NEW ISN'T ALWAYS GOOD!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they do come with it. as shown in pic 2. the bb is the cups and bearings.

there is not really a bb as such with the new bb set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • These are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Basically the drive side crank arm (the one with chainrings) has the axle fitted to it. The cups (as seen in pic 2) go into the frame as an ordainary BB and the axle goes through the cups. The axle sticks out the other side of the BB cups and the other crank arm (no chainrings) then fits onto the axle. You will need special tools to fit, so get your LBS involved. Worth the money and effort to fit them, I think. You'll find these are much stiffer and therefore you get more effective pedalling.

p.s. I have the XT chainset now...mmmmmm
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Prowlus
    Prowlus Posts: 539
    My 2007 Deore Xts use the external bbs and man they are far far lighter than i imagined . Feeling the weight of them against my old square taper internals is amazing and they are pretty accurate in holding the crank and chain where it counts . .
    When the 2008 ones go down in price. I'll be bagging them for sure
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Consider this though: an LX octalink crank and BB is lighter than an LX HT2 crank and BB - the bearings last longer too.
  • Cheers guys...plenty of food for thought!

I must admit, I'm surprides that the separate BB/crank comes in lighter than the integrated unit, but I guess it's a trade off between weight and performance.

What's the general opinion, bearing in mind I've currently got a deore square taper setup (not sure of the BB model)?
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Either will be infinitely better than the square taper setup u currently run, It all comes down to money and personal preference.

If u want a slightly stiffer setup then get the HT2 crank/BB, if u want a longer lasting and slightly cheaper setup then go for the HT1 setup.

Ive been using an XT octalink BB and HT1 crank for 4 yrs now and ive never had any probs with it and my bike is used 5 days a week to commute and then on a weekend in all conditions.