Visiting Afan for the 1st time, alone!

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited September 2007 in MTB general
Anyone gone to Afan alone? How did you find it? Did you hook up with any other riders while you were there? Do people organise group rides?

I'm planning to go in a few weeks but as I have no friends who ride I'll be there on my own but ideally I'd like to ride with others if poss!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would like to go some time but couldn't for a while as i have school, when i do go i will probably be in the same position as none of my friends ride (except jumping).
  • I might be going soon after I build up my new on-one 456 frame. seems like a good place to try it out. Been there a couple of times always people in the carpark etc. I normally ride with one other guy though. The wall and whites level will probably be on our list.
  • the first time i went there i went alone - it was fine

I'm hoping to head down there one weekend in the next few weeks, i'm always up for meeting up as my mates cant ride either - gimme a shout if you're up for it, 'Welsh one' might be interested too - http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12544751
  • I work in the shop at the Glyncorrwg MTB Centre at Afan. Call in, make yourself known, and i'll try and hook you up with some of the regulars.
    There's usually plenty of other people around too, so you could start on your own, then tag along with a group on the trails. I do this quite often, not intentionally, it just kinda happens. But it makes for a spontaneous "new" feel to trails i've ridden for years and makes it more interesting.

Last month, I rode with a group of Americans. Last year I rode with a guy from Israel.
    All very different but interesting rides, and all great fun.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
  • Thanks Skyliner!

I might just do that!

Any good suggestions for B&B's round there? Is it easy to reach coming up by train?
  • Try this for a B&B.

www.thequeensguesthouse.co.uk

Got a good bike lock up bit and hose to wash bike and you down afterwards. MASSIVE breakfast to start your day. It's just a kilometer up from the Glyncorrwg bike center.

Maybe a bit more than a K but its all downhill from town to Whites level trail head...
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    I was at Afan last wkend Fri-Sun. If you do ride on ure own be very careful bcuz one of our lads had a fall. He went to put his foot down whilst going over some rocks, the ground gave way under his foot and as he has spd`s on he went over the edge. Fell about 8ft and only just missed two bigs rocks. If ure on ure own and that happens etc you could be in real trouble. Don`t mean to put you off mate, just take it easy

Afan is a really good place to ride, sure I`ll be back again next yr
  • Yeah I'd always try n ride proper trails like that with a friend or two. One guy where I work is in hospital at the moment from several months ago. Broke his back on Cwm Carn final descent. over the bars landed on his back on a rock. Dunno if he'll walk again... Always take care when riding this new breed of man made XC trails. They're designed to be immense fun but it also raises the risk often
  • billy79
    billy79 Posts: 607
    I going riding on my own alot, and recently went up to Scotland to ride at Glentress for a week on my own, but you are always likely to meet other riders, and Afan is always busy at the weekends. I glad I met up with some other riders, as I had a bit of nasty crash, and with out their help, I may of struggled to get down the rest of the trail.
    A PLACE FOR RIDERS
    http://www.moredirt.co.uk