took the plunge ...and its great

kevburner
kevburner Posts: 6
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
hi all, after reading loads of posts i finally went to my lbs shop and come home with a trek 6000 08, took me an hour of riding this and a giant xtc 4.5 to decide.

went out on my first ride in about 12 years and how great it felt until i got to a hill , i managed 5.7 miles in 45 mins and had to stop at a freinds because i felt dizzy and faint.

i am 17 stone and 6 foot 1 and have a big jelly belly, after my 5 year old had me running after him when he discovered how fast he could go with out his stabalizers and how funny it was that he could ride faster than i could run all over the park. it became obvious that the only way to keep up was to join him and get a bike and hopefully lose some fat and get fit at the same time.

went out again today and managed 7 miles with stopping about 5 times and have to walk up some of the hills , i am really enjoying my new bike .

all advice is welcome in helping me keep riding every day and what foods i should eat and how far i should be aiming at i hiope to ride every week day and around the park with the kids at weekend

with out this website and everyones intresting posts of how they have started riding again and got fit i probably wouldnt have bothered getting a bike

thks to all

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    When starting, resting and having days off is just as important as the riding, or you will fatigue and not recover. Build slowly, and take with you plenty of liquid and something like bananas and fig rolls for energy.
  • Look here for some great motivation. http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4422383

I was just under 18st in jan/feb this year and am now just a tiny bit over 15st. I had a four year break from cycling...

Just watch your portion sizes as even though I was eating heathily it wasn't until by chance i weighed out my pasta that I was having nearly 3x what I should have been having.

As supersonic said, don't over do it. If you do have to ride every day (say commuting) then take it very easy every other day. No use in over doing it as you'll only get tired and wont enjoy it as much or worse, get an injury.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    A £500 bike to chase a 5 year old, cheating swine :wink:

Welcome!
  • Paul Sh
    Paul Sh Posts: 607
    The toys kids get nowa days his is probably worth a grand :)
  • Welcome to the forum,

Good choice of bike,

Hehe......Stick with it, it will get easier.

As long as your not forcing immense amounts of fat and sugar down your gob, you'll lose weight.

It's dead simple....use more calories than you eat, you get thinner and as SS says enjoy the rest as much as the ride.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x42/ ... 3Small.jpg
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Nice one, welcome.

Biking is an excellent way to tone up and burn off the fat - don't push it too hard or you'll injure yourself and lose the enthusiasm though. As long as your heart rate is up (breathing heavily, sweating) for at least 15-30 minutes each time you're out on the bike the weight will just drop off.

cheers, and enjoy the ride!

Sam
  • Grandpa Munster
    Grandpa Munster Posts: 25
    edited September 2007
    Having bought a Trek 6700 last Saturday, my get fit regime started this week.

Bearing in mind I have done no real exercise for 9 years, so far I have covered 4.25 miles Sunday and Monday, 5.25 miles Tuesday, 8.25 miles Wednesday and 9.5 miles today.

I rode to my LBS today, they think I should rest tomorrow, problem is I will feel guilty if I do. I could not wait for the rain to stop today, so I could get out on my bike. Only downside so far is my arse hurts a bit, I think I need some good cycling shorts.

Oh, and I'm 23 stone.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Don't worry about your ar$e.... :shock:
    It soon stops hurting :?
  • As the vicar said to the actress!

Ta-da boosh!

Rest is vitally important until your legs, joints and muscles get used to the exercise again, you'll find as you go on, you'll need less as your body will recover faster, but when first starting, if you don't rest, sooner or later your body will make you through injury.

A good isotonic sports drink will help, this will reduce the fluids and salts that your body loses through exercise.

Take a litre with you and sip during your ride, this will keep your energy levels up and helps (but won't stop) cramps. Oat bars, (and as SS said) fig rolls and bananas are also good for this.

Afterwards have another drink and take on loads of water. A nice warm bath also eases the aches and pains you will suffer.

• hi all , decided to rest today, probably clean the car or play forza 2 on xbox,might go for a easy ride down the park with kids see if he can keep up now.
    thxs for all advice, i done moto-x before the kids come along and i can remember eating loads of bananas then, should i be pushing myself more as my body dosent ache but i feel a little tired, and my bum bones or sore but i hope that will pass.

on my second ride i ventured off road for a mile or 2 and i must admit it was brill speeding in the woods with no traffic to worry about, and was pleasant ly surprised how the bike handled the rough stuff.

anyone know of good riding places away from traiffic in kent area thinking of maybe bewl water or someone mentioned a place goudhurst i think and a new place at bettshanger.

i know where your comeing from about the shorts thats my next purchase, if they sell them extra large 38 to 40.

thxs again to all
  • some bad news, me and my 5 year decide to ride to the park together, i usually have to run after him , he is over the moon that i have got a bike , get 50 yds down road cross the road he comes back onto path he applys back break slowly as he mounts drop kerbs and back wheel skids and spits him off.......ouch..........i run over pick him up and he says arm is hurting , i have a look and bone is sticking out just under skin rush to hospital and he has dislocated the small bone in arm and broken the big one just below the elbow,,,,,Gutted big time

operation tomorrow will have to have it pinned and wired.

will post tomorrow
  • Thats bad....Hope all goes well at the hospital toaday.

Lets hope it hasn't put him off riding again once healed. (and you)
  • Awwww no,

Get well soon to mini-burner!

Mind you, if he gets a cast, a fiver says it will be a badge of honour for him.

Prepare to have it used to manipulate alllll kinds of situations to his advantage!

:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

• Aww, poor little sod, hope he recovers quickly! :(
  • I'll lay odds he wants to go back on the bike before you think he's ready.

That's the good thing about the nippers....

They have NO fear whatsoever.

Plus they are to a certain degree made of some kind of rebound damping rubber type substance.

But again, get well soon...hope the op went well.

• hi all, had op today, heartbreaking watching him drift away, put up a brave fight trying to stop them, me mum and 2 docters had to hold him down.

surgeons done a brill job and managed to get bones in right position without pins or wires
    demanded a new transformer when he awoke
    should be back home tomorrow

thxs kevburner
  • Great news.

Thanks for letting us know.

:D

• WOOHOO! great news m8. he deserves that transformer too :D
    if we need trees for the air we breathe..

then how come when we hit the tree it takes the air out of us??... ( trees...the selfish b***erds want it back!! )
  • fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    Fantastic i just read this entire thread felt a bit sick when i read the bit of news .

crackin that the kids ok.

By the way welcome to the riding you will have lots of fun.

I have had my bike nearly about three months.....loving ever ride i just wish i could ride more.
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!
  • hi all got home yesterday, 5 year old is a bit sore and tender and feeling sorry for himself got his new transformer he insisted on the biggest in the shop cost me 40 pounds , good to see a smile on his face .

gutted that i have not been on bike for 3 days now hope to get out tomorrow for a couiple of hours need to start getting fit again, looking forward to trying to push myself to 10 miles. hpe that if i can do this for 4 -5 days a week i can lose some weight.

thxs all
  • fumps
    fumps Posts: 227
    Nice one

It's so much easier to lose weight when your really enjoying what your doing!!!!

God i'm glad my son cant read or my 4yr old would be after a transformer lol
    Arrrghhh it's worse than i thought!!!!!