Removing back wheel

Brood
Brood Posts: 138
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

It maybe a bit of a n00b question, but when removing the back wheel do I need to put something in between the 2 brake pads?

I have Shimano hydraulic disk brakes btw.
Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is a good idea as if you pull the brake lever you will have to work the pads apart again.

shimano does provide spacers with their brakes and they normally are provided with the new bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Not unless you're leaving it out for months or transporting the bike with it out. Don't pull the lever obviously.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    The best advice is to not pull the lever when the wheel is out but if u still want to put somethin in there i know a few people that swear by a 2p coin with a abit of tape to hold it in place.
  • Brood
    Brood Posts: 138
    jayson wrote:
    The best advice is to not pull the lever when the wheel is out but if u still want to put somethin in there i know a few people that swear by a 2p coin with a abit of tape to hold it in place.

Ahh that sounds like a good idea.

Cheers all
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011