Etape de Legende joining details

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
I've booked a place at the Etape de Legende through Cyclomundo, who haven't exactly been forward in communicating with me about this at any stage of the process. I'm keen to sort out travel etc as soon as possible (the ride is on Sept 23) and emailed Cyclomundo yesterday asking about joining instructions, but they just tell me that "everything has been sent to ASO [the race organisers] you should indeed receive something from them".

Has anyone else out there received their joining instructions, or have any idea when we might get them?

Comments

• knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    What do you mean with joining instructions?

I registered directly with ASO, printing out the form from the official website and posting it to them. About 15 days later my name appeared on the list of participants on the official website, and a couple of days again after that I received a letter from ASO telling me my bib number.
    The letter included a small information booklet, mostly with info already on the website, though it does have a map of the route (missing on the website but you can figure it out from the profile) and it does tell me where the feeding stations will be.
    Oh, and the places where you're eliminated if not arriving there by a certain time too!
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Knedlicky, thanks for this, it gets me a bit further along the line.
    I can see my name on the the list of participants, but I have had no information from them directly, no details of bib number, no information book etc.
    My concern is that I want to know where to turn up for the start of the race, details re baggage transfer, feeding stations etc.
    However, following your link, I've been able to find the booklet that you had sent, and have now downloaded it.
    Thanks....see you at the pasta party :wink:
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    Yep, I've also used Cyclomundo, and found them to be poor. They were happy to take my 105 euros off me in January, yet when I enquired a month ago as to why my details weren't on the official site, they replied "it's because you haven't filled in an official application form" - which they had neither sent nor told me about (I had already filled in their's). Anyway, issues all sorted now, though it's taken my name a further 3 weeks to make it on to the official list of starters. I'm not quite sure what I've paid them for, and had I realised I could apply directly through the ASO, I would have done, as I never had any intention of using Cyclomundo's packages, as I prefer to make my own travel arrangements.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Just got my info pack through this morning. Only three weeks to go, and the mother of all sore throats has got me :( so looks like training this weekend is out of the window. Pitty its lovely weather.
  • Term1te wrote:
    Just got my info pack through this morning.
    Yup, mine arrived this morning too
    Only three weeks to go, and the mother of all sore throats has got me so looks like training this weekend is out of the window
    Surely that's not an excuse, termite? Perhaps I won't have to spike your drink the night before?
  • term1te
    I think someone has already spiked my drink! Sore throat is getting better, but its sunk to my chest, ho hum. I hope there are no random out of competition Lemsip tests during the next week.
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Cyclomundo have been dragging their feet with my application as well - made in February.

I spoke to them today, apparently the total entry is under 2000, compared to the 8000 they were hoping for. This would explain the ease of hotel booking.

A final note - max temps on the Ballon are arouind 12oc this week, so take something warm or have whoever's meeting you carry suitable gear. Maybe something stronger than tea!
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • pedylan wrote:
    A final note - max temps on the Ballon are arouind 12oc this week, so take something warm or have whoever's meeting you carry suitable gear. Maybe something stronger than tea!

Hmm, yes, I've been beginning to wonder about what the weather will be like. Sounds a bit cooler there can we have right here at the moment.

Is anyone able to recommend a weather forecast site that will cover Strasbourg/Mulhouse area? Termite?
  • pedylan
    topcattim wrote:

Is anyone able to recommend a weather forecast site that will cover Strasbourg/Mulhouse area? Termite?

Try this

http://www.meteofrance.com/FR/montagne/ ... SKI0790001
  • term1te
    The notoriously unreliable MeteoSchweitz suggests that it will be dry and warm in the valley next Sunday, but then Basel is about 30 km from Mulhouse. http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/de ... &plz=basel

Its a lovely day today if that’s any help, already 20 C and clear skies. Echte Kaiser Wetter
  • knedlicky
    pedylan wrote:
    I spoke to them today, apparently the total entry is under 2000, compared to the 8000 they were hoping for. This would explain the ease of hotel booking.

The official limit was 4500; I think there's no way any organisation would hope for 8000 for the first-ever event!
    According to a French website last midweek, the number of participants was at 3000.

Tonight (Tuesday) temperatures are expected to fall to only just above freezing in Alsace (which will make it pretty cool in the morning), and only just above 16 deg C during the day tomorrow. But by next Sunday the temps are expected to be around 9 deg C in the morning (still a jacket and armlings) and 21 deg C by afternoon - though I think you have to take off 8-10 deg C when thinking how it will be at the mountain top finish.

The forecast for next Sunday suggests mist in the morning, then sun breaking through the cloud, though never completely.
  • knedlicky wrote:
    pedylan wrote:

The official limit was 4500; I think there's no way any organisation would hope for 8000 for the first-ever event!
    According to a French website last midweek, the number of participants was at 3000.

Tonight (Tuesday) temperatures are expected to fall to only just above freezing in Alsace (which will make it pretty cool in the morning), and only just above 16 deg C during the day tomorrow. But by next Sunday the temps are expected to be around 9 deg C in the morning (still a jacket and armlings) and 21 deg C by afternoon - though I think you have to take off 8-10 deg C when thinking how it will be at the mountain top finish.

The forecast for next Sunday suggests mist in the morning, then sun breaking through the cloud, though never completely.

Thanks Knedlicky - I've been wondering re what to wear and it definitely looks like bib shorts, gilet and armwarmers.
  • pedylan
    The original press release and the current registration form refer to 8500 cyclists and the allocation of 8500 places. I hope that doesn't mean it will be viewed as a failure.

The weather forecast for Strasbourg Sunday is min 16 and max 25; for Ballon is min 4 and max 9. Quite a contrast. Same forecasts show sunshine and very little wind. If you believe weather forecasts that is.

I'm aiming to start with bib shorts and short sleeved jersey but I'll carry a long sleeve jacket and expect I'll need it.

I'm finally on the official web site runner list but don't expect to see anything in the post before I leave. Am I missing anything?
  • pedylan wrote:
    I'm finally on the official web site runner list but don't expect to see anything in the post before I leave. Am I missing anything?

As long as you have downloaded the booklet off the website, and checked out your bib number, Iyou're not missing anything. All I got in the post was the booklet, a letter confirming my bib number and a couple of flyers. But be aware that the letter says that registration is from 9-00 a.m to 7-30 pm and says you should bring the letter plus your passport. So I guess if you can bring proof of your number that you can download from the website, that's probably worthwhile doing.
  • pedylan
    Thanks topcattim, I'll print off my entry and bib number and take them along with my passport.

I've downloaded everything else that looks relevant, the website content has got a bit more useful lately with city centre as well as route maps.

Good luck to everyone taking part. Here's to a great day in the saddle.
  • term1te
    Just looked at the website again, lot more info now. Looks like we’re at the back of the start, there was me thinking the bigger the number the more important you were!

We have to finish by 18.35, which is a gentle 22.5 kmh average. The cut off times are front loaded so we’ll need to do the first 40 km a bit faster, and make sure we make up time on the descents.

The weather is set fair, although it was pretty cold out here this morning, 5 C at 7:00.

Topcattim, did you find someone for the casting vote on the leg question?
  • Term1te wrote:
    Topcattim, did you find someone for the casting vote on the leg question?

The question was, "should I shave my legs for this special occasion?" In our family of four, we were stuck at 2 in favour, 2 against. In a cowardly dereliction of duty, Term1te declined the opportunity to have the casting vote.

What does the bikeradar community think?
  • pedylan
    What start time are you using to calculate 22.5kph average? Looks like 9am allowing for a 1835 finish at this average speed. I thought the start would be much earlier.

I'd also recommend, as a fellow back starter, stepping up the pace to avoid any possibility of getting caught out. On another forum there was a story about someone spending 11 hours on a broom wagon bus after arriving late at a first cut off. No early mechanicals either !

On the leg shave - mine are staying hirsute - but I am off to Crete for 2 weeks straigyht after Sunday so don't want to spend any time attracting strange looks.
  • knedlicky
    pedylan wrote:
    What start time are you using to calculate 22.5kph average? Looks like 9am allowing for a 1835 finish at this average speed. I thought the start would be much earlier.
    Re the start time, it's at 7 am - if you haven't started by 7.20 am you're eliminated.

The 22.5 kph average is probably based on not being eliminated at the first feeding station, at 82 km. By that time, the first passes have been crossed. Later, as more passes come, the average minimum required drops.