I pick up my first bike tomorrow!... now where to ride!

k-rodd
k-rodd Posts: 9
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

After much deliberation... (you know how it goes), i took the plunge and bought a bike, they guy at the LBS needs to do some fine adjustments but said it'll be ready to be collected tomorrow morning. Can't wait!

In the end it was between the Gt Avalanche 3.0 and a Mongoose Tyax Elite, both 2007 models and in the sub £300 range. I'd tried the GT before and thought it was great but when i saw the Mongoose in the shop it looked wicked and had a good frame and forks, i knew it would be the bike for me.

Im on the doorstep of the Peak District in a small town called Clay Cross and was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to go and try out the bike...(after getting used to it by thrashing it around my local streets (im a 34 y/o big kid at heart..lol)

Also could anyone suggest if this bike is a good base to upgrade from? as i'd probably want to make some changes as i become more confident.

THANKS!

Comments

• k-rodd wrote:
    Hi all,

Also could anyone suggest if this bike is a good base to upgrade from? as i'd probably want to make some changes as i become more confident.

THANKS!
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • k-rodd wrote:
    Hi all,

THANKS!

Absolutely, dependent on the sort of riding you want to move into, you'll know by then what parts will be best anyway or at least have a reasonable idea but some styles will require a new bike freeride/ downhill to state the obvious but that will be some time yet if anything.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :lol:
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • I own the Mongoose Tyax Elite, I would say you would want to upgrade the brakes first. Yeah they may look nice (I thought that to) but in reality they suck no power... I'm trying to give my front one some more power but I'm not sure how.. Maybe better pads?
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • My mistake, just poorly set up brakes. Look here for info incase you have this problem:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12544494
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007

• Thanks for that, i was a little concerned if id bought the right bike for a moment. I'll def keep an eye on the breaks.

On strength, how do you find the bike for doing small jumps and xc, as i'd like to progress from trails at some point.

Thanks
  • The only thing I've had go is the tires. Well one punctured going med speed over a curb. I know I should have slowed down but tbh I would have thought these tires would have stood up more.

If I get some of them bullet proof inner's then I tell you I would take my bike anywhere (well I still do mostly) but my skill is lacking on landings as I found out today... *looks at cuts on leg*

The bike is made very strong and well, ignore the warning on the shock just make sure it never bottoms out. (change preload)
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007