Shimano Sora Levers/ V-Brakes

Deefex
Deefex Posts: 45
edited September 2007 in Tour & expedition
I have a Revolution Country (2006 model) with Tektro Oryx 992A cantilever brakes with Shimano Sora levers + Tektro AL720 bar-top levers.

I would like to replace my cantilever brakes with Shimano XTR M970 V Brakes but am not sure whether I would need to replace my Shimano (Sora) levers and/or the Tektro bar top levers as well.

Can anyone advise?

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    STI levers won't pull enough cable to operate V's effectively, with the exception of Campagnolo Mirage Linear Pull Cantilever Brakes
    P1982_250.jpg.

(Condor fit these to their Heritage tourer and they work very well)
  • Hi
    do you know if these will work with non-sti levers - ie ordinary aero drop levers? Can't find any thing on the web about them.

thanks
    ff
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Erm I thought the Campagnolo brakes only worked with their 'flat bar controls' (which presumably pull more cable).

IIRC There is a gizmo called something like a 'travelator' that enables you to use STIs with v-brakes.

fatfreddy - Dia-Compe 287Vs work perfectly with v-brakes.
  • Just got a response from the LBC. They say that Shimano Sora or any other kind of drop levers are no good for V brakes, so I guess that means you can't have them on bikes with drops. :-(

He did suggest that the following could be used however:

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... ct=m004199
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Deefex wrote:
    Just got a response from the LBC. They say that Shimano Sora or any other kind of drop levers are no good for V brakes, so I guess that means you can't have them on bikes with drops. :-(

I have mini-vs on my bike. They work very well with Dia-Compe 287Vs and are as effective as normal Vs. You could definitely use 287Vs on drop bars. What they should have said is that there are no STI levers that work with v-brakes.
  • alfablue
    andymiller wrote:
    Erm I thought the Campagnolo brakes only worked with their 'flat bar controls' (which presumably pull more cable)..
    Campag only specify them for the flat bar levers, but they do work on STI's.

Condor fit them to their Heritage Tourer, tested in May 07 C+

They said:
    One interesting component is the Mirage Linear Pull Brakes, a recent inclusion in the Campag range. These are a welcome addition, originally designed for Campag's flat bar levers, but they work absolutely superbly with drops (without the use of travel-agents or similar devices). They offer bags of stopping power and loads of control, just what you want when descending on a heavily laden bike.
  • You don't say why you want to replace the brakes. I have the same canti's on my Dawes Horizon and they were ok until the blocks wore out, at which point I fitted some Aztecs to the rear and KoolStops to the front (The Aztec's screamed like a banshee on the front) which improved things by about 100%. If you still don't like the Tektro's (which, for instance, Paul Hewitt fits on his £1200 tourers) then there are other cantis available; Frogslegs from On-One are rated by Chris Juden, Pauls make Mafac replicas etc etc.
  • alfablue
    fatfreddy wrote:
    Hi
    do you know if these will work with non-sti levers - ie ordinary aero drop levers? Can't find any thing on the web about them.

thanks
    ff
    I see no reason why they shouldn't work just as well on aero drop levers.