advice please on those static " turbo trainers"

boly
boly Posts: 71
edited October 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I'd be very grateful for any advice re the pro's and cons of the huge numbers of these on the market. I plan to buy one, but having never even seen one let alone used one, I have no idea of what to look for or what features are necessary/essential. I'd rather not pay a huge amount cos I reserve all spare cash for bikes. :) This type of thing ?http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160141669418&ih=006&category=97031
Thank you, Bob

Comments

• Most of these work on the tyres and so if you are using standard mountain bikes tires it will probably be uncomfortable and noisy. You will also wear out your tires.

The only one I found that works on the rims was this http://www.minoura.jp/index-et.html

It's not bad and if you really can't get out in the winter evenings it does help keep you fit. It doesn't feel like real cycling as if you don't pedal you stop (duh!) and I find it difficult to "spin" - it is push down, not pull up if that makes any sense.

The big problems I find are that, using it in the garage, you get very sweaty and it is boring.

This year I joined a gym which has better, warmer facilities - and a pool
  • amt27
    amt27 Posts: 320
    i used to use one year ago when I was MTB racing

I had a cycle racing training book with turbo training plans, sadly i no longer have the book nor can i remember the title

basically (rough figures) the sessions involved warming up at a high cadence for 20-30 mins and then 10x 15x or 20x anaerobic bursts for 30s 60s or 2mins with breaks, this kept my anaerobic fitness up well during the winter,

along with cross country running twice a week, i was pretty much ready for early session races,

get a fan to blow the sweat away and the turbo is noisey, watch a cycle racing dvd, cover the bars and bike with a towel below your head, salt from your sweat might corrode components
  • Can Turbo Trainers, and or Rollers have an effect on training for MTB?

Or do you think that 3 sessions a week at a Spinning Class in a Gym is more beneficial?

In Beijing I won't be cycling outside from November till April time as it's -15c + windchill brrrrr
  • I'm not an expert but I think there are pros and cons

Spinning classes are possibly better, however, the turbo trainer on full resistance, bike in top gear and struggling to pedal above 60rpm will strengthen your legs.

Last winter I felt through spinning on the turbo trainer that I lost strength & really noticed back out on the bike but I did feel my pedalling technique improved

Mike
  • Yeah I like the spinning class, even the wife loves it. But I'm still temptem with either rollers or turbo trainer for technique and to get some 'time in the saddle' to stop getting numb.
    What do you think, turbo or rollers?
  • I have a turbo, and the advice I'd give you is to get one with either a magnetic or fluid filled roller, mine uses a fan and it's crazy noisy. Sticking a cheap MTB slick on helps the noise though.
    I found llast winter that I both gained and lost fitness. I could storm seated climbs and the like, but anything out of the saddle, particularly where I didn't need to pedal, tired me out far quicker than expected. Just not used to using the muscles that way I guess.
    If you really can't get out regularly through the winter (and lets be honest most of us CAN'T do as much as in summer) then I say go for it.

Paul
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.
  • h i r 0
    h i r 0 Posts: 76
    Does anyone have any kind of advice regarding a 'routine' on a turbo trainer? At the moment I'm doing 30 - 60 minutes in the morning but I just tend to spin it fast and then turn up the resistance for a period.

Soooo boring though. :cry: