New And Need Some Help

milne4170
milne4170 Posts: 6
edited September 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi guys new to this , Got some great downhill tracks in the sticks up north here but am very undecided in which bike to buy, budget is up to 450-500 region any suggestions and reasons for them woyuld be great

Also another question the rear shocks is it better to have a bike with or without the shock for the terrain in the woods and for the medium sized jumps that they have there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers John

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a read of the What Bike thread in the general section - plus the other threads on tis price range.
  • for the price range you are suggesting you would be much better off with a hardtail as having a rear shock and pivots on a bike costs money and something has to give and it's usually the rest of the bits that get downgraded compared to ahardtail in the same price point. go for the gt avanlanche 2.0 or the spacialized rockhopper or even the giant xtc would all be great steeds. i would personally go for the spesh as the back up from them is second to none. and it rides deyond its price point. either way get down to your lbs and try some as only you will no wich feels right. happy hunting
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • russ0228 wrote:
    for the price range you are suggesting you would be much better off with a hardtail as having a rear shock and pivots on a bike costs money and something has to give and it's usually the rest of the bits that get downgraded compared to ahardtail in the same price point. go for the gt avanlanche 2.0 or the spacialized rockhopper or even the giant xtc would all be great steeds. i would personally go for the spesh as the back up from them is second to none. and it rides deyond its price point. either way get down to your lbs and try some as only you will no wich feels right. happy hunting

cheers for that most appreciated, is it better tto have a rear shock for this sort of terrain ? just so i know so i am picking up a bit of knowledge about it as i go along.

Cheers John
  • where are you from as this will help you choose a bike ie scotland ( quiet rough at some tracks )
  • where are you from as this will help you choose a bike ie scotland ( quiet rough at some tracks )

North east scotland
  • hmm so right now am geuss in up near fort bill and the likes

noo

if am wrong feel free to laugh as i am no that good at geography and the likes lol
  • hmm so right now am geuss in up near fort bill and the likes

noo

if am wrong feel free to laugh as i am no that good at geography and the likes lol

Your spot on there your in the correct direction
  • and you want a hardtail to do dh on what tracks.
  • and you want a hardtail to do dh on what tracks.

not sure what i need for it, whats best for this kind of down hill terrain, is it better to have rear shock? i dont have a clue about it
  • Well if you plan on fort bill the you will need more than a couple of hundred quid. unless you want to hire a bike and get a pass up and down for the track includes cable cars,armour,a lid very important and a big hit 2 all for 100 quid but for the witches craig more xc based i think but technical a hardtail will be fine