sprintkid
sprintkid Posts: 315
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
So anyone doing the London freewheel??? :D
sprintkid

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I'm not gonna be there unfortunatly- but what actually is it?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    nope - sounds like a marketing exercise to me.
  • fidbod...which ever way you look at it why would'nt you want to cyle on roads which are closed to cars, buses etc...yes hovis have branded their name all over it but who cares...it'll be a great day!
    dangerous jules.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    It will be fun. :D Nothing like a race around the block!
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    The Better Half returns from a year studying in Canada that weekend so, even if I did put the Freewheel event above seeing her (which I obviously don't), it would not be worth the probable result on her relaxed serenity!
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • i'll be there, hows it going to work though?

Do we get leaded round a course or take it at our own pace?
  • you go at you own pace and your own route or you can be marshalled around if perhpas your unsure of the route.
    p.s leaded!!!!!! :oops:
    dangerous jules.
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    The route is easy:

"Stick to the road, stay off the moors."
    :D
  • One week to go and I've got nothing in the post! Has anyone got anything?

I know I'm part ot "The south east skid squadron" !!!!
  • My stuff arrived in the post today. Info, gilet/vest thing (in red with logos) and, for those early registrants, a free bike Top Trumps pack! Mainly crap bikes though and mainly Ridgeback, Raleigh and Saracen.

Effectively advertising masquerading as a game though....
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • Oh I got it now! :D

The "Top trumps" deck is... not very good. But its free, so...
    The bib is real nice though! With "Easy Rider" on the back. Nice. 8)

Got a bell too! Stuff that, I'm bringing my airzound!
  • I've not had anything in the post yet, just a couple of emails about where to meet. I'm starting from Uxbridge and then going to Ravenscourt Park and from there onto the route. Should be good fun

Anyone else starting from Uxbridge?
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • Do I have to register to take part?
    I went to the website and registration is closed.
  • dazzawazza wrote:
    Do I have to register to take part?
    I went to the website and registration is closed.

Yep, but I can't see what they can do if you just turn up and cycle the route :)
  • I just Googled it and according to this web site pre-registration is not compulsory:

mayorwatch
  • Apparently the 30,000 event has got 38,000 entries!

Organisers of the Hovis London Freewheel have been forced to put a freeze on entries.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... article.do

I have a feeling that it's going to be as choc-a-block as London 2 Brighton! Early start for the speed freaks then!!! 8)
  • Is anyone else still waiting for their pack? I registered when it first came out but still heard nothing. It sounds like a bit of a ba*ls up to be honest!!!
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    What is the point of this event? To show potential cyclo-commuters that they too can actually ride into central London, that it is not some impossible distance that will take hours?
  • i haven't got any pack either. i wonder if there will be good sandwiches there cos of the hovis connection. i can't wait though, i haven't been in any sort of biker meet ever. the problem is i'm turning up on a bike thats supposed to MTB but i made it touring cos i'm a cheapo. i didn't want to buy new for the tour i'm planning even though i'm confident it ain't gonna be one-off. then again i haven't the dosh for a touring bike espeicially with my income (non-existent at moment) so hey, i'll turn up proud of my erm... innovation and handy work :roll:
    In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!
  • Fe
    Fe Posts: 3
    I got this email on the 12th, still no pack today...

London Free Wheel <londonFreeWheel@london.gov.uk> Sep 12 (6 days ago)

Hi

We’re very sorry the packs have been delayed – customs took an unusual interest in our bike bells! We have a huge team here now who have just started packing and all packs will be on door mats by next Tuesday at the very latest.

The Hovis London Freewheel - be part of an extraordinary event! Click www.londonfreewheel.com to find out more.
    i'm in ur C+ stealing ur post count
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    got home from work and my pack has turned up :D
  • Is anyone else still waiting for their pack? I registered when it first came out but still heard nothing. It sounds like a bit of a ba*ls up to be honest!!!

I phoned them on Monday and was told that the remaining packs would be sent out that day. Wrong :x Still nothings arrived. :x :x
  • I've signed and still no got the pack, can you only do the route if you have the pack? What does the pack include?

Been looking forward to this for ages be gutted if I can't do it because of this dam pack.
  • Was going to be doing this but a BMW put paid to that idea (and my bike). Hope it's a good day for all who are going.

Dazzawazza at the top of this page has managed to find somewhere that you don't need to be registered to take part. As someone else said, don't know how they'd stop you if you turned up.

Don't worry too much about the pack either, you're not missing much - heavily branded/covered in sponsor's logos. There's a tasty little bib, some leaflets, a naff wee bell and if you registered early a pack of top-trumps (which are the best bit IMO) - probably forgotten a couple of bits, but needless to say not exactly memorable...
  • Lbaguley wrote:
    Was going to be doing this but a BMW put paid to that idea (and my bike). Hope it's a good day for all who are going.

Dazzawazza at the top of this page has managed to find somewhere that you don't need to be registered to take part. As someone else said, don't know how they'd stop you if you turned up.

Don't worry too much about the pack either, you're not missing much - heavily branded/covered in sponsor's logos. There's a tasty little bib, some leaflets, a naff wee bell and if you registered early a pack of top-trumps (which are the best bit IMO) - probably forgotten a couple of bits, but needless to say not exactly memorable...

This is from the Freewheel site

Thanks for your interest in the first ever Hovis London Freewheel. We've had a fantastic response from Londoners, and this year's event is now at the planned capacity. We want to ensure that riders have an enjoyable, safe day of cycling, and that did mean putting a limit on the numbers that could register.

Am confused :shock:
  • Fe
    Fe Posts: 3
    so, no change there then

To: London Free Wheel <londonFreeWheel@london.gov.uk>
    Date: Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 7:53 AM

Hello Dáire

I've still not received the pack. Is it likely to arrive in the next three days?

Is there anything in the pack that I need to take part, like say an entry number, or Do I just show up to Peckham on the day and set off?

Will I be able to pick up a pack with the goodies on the day?

Thanks

To:
    Date: Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 8:52 AM

If your pack hasn't arrived yet, don't worry. Some of the packs were delayed for a few days (customs took an unusual interest in our bike bells!), but they should all be on doormats this week.

Hovis London Freewheel
    Sunday September 23rd 2007

Frequently Asked Questions http://www.londonfreewheel.com/about/faqs.asp
    i'm in ur C+ stealing ur post count
  • Pack arrived in post today. its a bit vague and not very informative. not sure if it seems well organised. Do you go to the hubs and then head to start from there???
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • It's Friday and still nothing has arrived. I'm supposed to be starting from Uxbridge and moving on to one of the hubs from there. I can imagine arriving at Uxbridge to find no one there :x The words "organise", "piss up" & "brewery" spring to mind :evil:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    My plans for the day are now up in the air because it turns out that there is a family birthday celebration on Sunday morning. I'm now hoping that I can jump on a train to London Bridge with the bike and simply join the route there. If not then it will be almost impossible for me to fit it into what is turning out to be an unexpectedly busy day.

If the weather is good it could be a really fun day for all who take part.