France - Channel to Med info

harrywolper
harrywolper Posts: 95
edited September 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hello. Has anyone got any good sources of info for planning/plotting a 2-3 week tour through France from North to South please?
Regards, Harry [/img]

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    http://www.trentobike.org/bycountry_one/France.html

My favourite site for planning.

there may not be a run from North to south but the travelogues will cover most of France to help you choose.

where do you want to start from , and go to?

george
  • Thanks for info.

Probably from Calais to Nice (or anywhere that Eurostar / Ryanair / Easyjet go to).

Regards

Harry
  • Hi Harry

Audax UK have a route from Roscoff to Nice 1400km, don't need to use all of it but you could maybe catch on to the route at some point.
    Completed it earlier this year and had a great time, a few busy bits but most of it on quietish roads.

Cheers
  • Did this during the summer...we didnt plan everything in detail, had a great time...St Malo - Rennes - Nantes - La Roche - La Rochelle - Royan - Bordeaux - Toulouse - Sete - Montpellier...managed to watch the tour arrive and depart Montpellier on the 19th and 20th July to end a top trip. We sailed Porstmouth to St Malo on the way out and returned using Ryan Air (excellent experience although 1st and only time so far) to London Stansted...

Michelin website can prove useful for mapping and these can be used when there...1:125,000 etc

Photos can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10867118@N07/
  • Hello. Has anyone got any good sources of info for planning/plotting a 2-3 week tour through France from North to South please?
    Regards, Harry [/img]

I rode from Clais to Montpelier this summer and had a wonderful time.. I used a CTC route and modified it as its destination was St Tropez and my destination was Montpellier.

The bones of the route with some French road numbers is as follows:

CALAIS D940
    Wissant D238
    Marquise D191 D127
    Desyres
    Beussent
    Montreuil NI
    Abbeville
    Yzeux D191
    Amiens D934
    Roye
    Noyon
    Blerancourt D6
    Soissons D1
    Chateau-Thierry Dl D933
    Montmirail Rd 373 N4
    Sezanne Rd 373
    Mesgrigny D20
    Troyes N71 D123
    Verrieres D49
    Ville Noyenne
    Merry-s-Arce N71
    Chatillon-s-Saône
    Dijon N74
    Beaune D18 D19
    Chaion-s-saône D978 D933
    Cuisery
    Pont-de-Vaux
    Pont-de-Veyle
    Trevoux
    Lyon D487
    Pierre Benite D15
    Grigny N86
    Givors
    Vienne (West Bank)
    Tournon N86 (Cont)
    Valence
    Le Teil
    Viviers N86 N93
    Pierrelatte N7
    Orange
    Borges D6
    Caumont-s-Durance N7
    Senas
    Aix-en-Provence
    St Maximin
    Brignoles
    Le Cannet des Maures

3 Alternatives:-

1) La Garde Freinet D558
    Grimaud D14 D61 D98A
    ST TROPEZ

2) Le Muy N7 D25
    St Maxime N98 D98A
    ST TROPEZ

3) Le Muy N7 D7
    St Aygulf N98 D98A
    ST TROPEZ

Joining the CTC will give you access to some other Channel to Med rides though there's nothing to stop you from plotting your own route.

I used Eurpean Bike Express to get me to Caias from Leeds and back to Leeds from Montpellier. Beats air travel as there's no long waits and no need to pack/unpack the bike.

HTH

Vernon