All purpose compact fixed/ss frame?

MrFishcp
MrFishcp Posts: 137
edited September 2007 in Road general
I'm looking for frame that'll build up into a commuter/trainer/light tourer. Sticking point so far is that I want a compact frame and there don't seem to be too many apart from the semi-compact Pompino.

Any suggestions?
Fishy

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Specialized Langster? - althought you'd have t buy the whole bike. It is a Alu compact frame with same geometry as the allez. it is very lightweight and has rack mounts, although it doesn't have clearance for mudguarda.

an 07 model can be had for around £350 at the moment
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    hate to say it, but the langster sounds like the one.
  • peejay78 wrote:
    hate to say it, but the langster sounds like the one.

I did I just read that correctly :p
  • peejay78
    or the bowery...

both these sinful machines have compact geometry.

(vomits)
  • actually whats the advantages of a compact frame over a traditonal ?
  • peejay78
    makes you feel physically sick to look at it?
  • gkerr4
    lighter,

more modern looking

stiffer (perhaps)

annoys Peejay (definately)
  • peejay78
    more modern?

please.

slower, uglier, etc...
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    What's wrong with the Pompino? There a few come up on ebay at good prices. I think there's one on there at the mo.
  • peejay78
    nothing a good steamroller can't fix.
  • easier to fit to funny dimensioned people.

the bowery and the langster are both alu, is the pomp my only steel option?
    Fishy
  • peejay78
    why do you want a compact frame?

is it to do with the above post?
  • gkerr4
    no...

it's because:

they look way cooler than those museum-piece horizontal things,

lighter, stiffer, more modern looking, annoys you.

all of those reasons

:-)
  • Partly its the looks, I do like the compact look, heretical as that may be. Mostly it's fitting. If I'm buying a frame I can't try first, the greater fit range of a compact seems to make more sense.

On the other hand, I haven't road tested any road bikes in years, so the fit problems I had with my Pug may not actually be an issue.
    Fishy
  • peejay78
    i think the compact frame is good thing. i just don't like it. i feel wrong when riding one. my bikes have relatively relaxed geometry, but the top tube is pretty much horizontal.

i can't remember what you ride, gkerr.

is it one of those modern fly by night, built in obsolence and pre-determined catastrophic frame failure at crucial moment things?

:D
  • peejay78
    nb: from the bearded one:

Compact Frame
    Traditional "road" frames have been built with level top tubes since the early 1900s. The influence of mountain and BMX bike design has led to the increasing popularity of frames with sloping top tubes, higher at the front.

"Compact" road frames have sloping top tubes, and are intended to be used with a long seatpost. Compact frames are a little bit lighter than traditional ones, but this is partially offset by the weight of the longer seatppost. Some riders believe they are stiffer.

Manufacturers like them because they are more versatile in terms of fit. Usually 3 or 4 sizes are enough to fit 98% of customers. This saves a lot of money for a manufacturer who doesn't need to deal with so many SKUs.
  • gkerr4
    peejay78 wrote:
    i think the compact frame is good thing. i just don't like it. i feel wrong when riding one. my bikes have relatively relaxed geometry, but the top tube is pretty much horizontal.

i can't remember what you ride, gkerr.

is it one of those modern fly by night, built in obsolence and pre-determined catastrophic frame failure at crucial moment things?

:D

yes - yes thats exactly it..

I have a langster and a Trek Pilot - both with those pesky slopey 'girsl' frames - as Lance would say
    maybe