Newbie looking to spend no more than £250 on a hardtail

simonwootton
simonwootton Posts: 9
edited September 2007 in MTB buying advice
OK, I've trawled the net for reviews and offers on a budget mtb which will be used mainly for a mix of offroad/road biking and I've looked at various options. I'm looking for some honest opinions on good bikes for the money - looked at GT, Diamondback, Saracen and Viper so far.

I need quick release wheels, would prefer lock-out front suspension but not imperative, good shifters (Shimano?) and all round 'decent' kit - I realise I wont get anything stunning for this money, but as an entry level bike to see whether or not I take to the sport in general.

Opinions welcome !!
Simon

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Great start - thanks.

Quite interested in the GT range.

More opinions please !!!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I bought my first proper MTB about 8 months ago (was riding a pile of junk which wasnt fit for purpose before)

Being a student I had very little money i only had £300 to spend so i went for a Giant Yukon.

It's done me well so far and i thouyght I got a lot for my money. You can probably pick one up for about £250 now with the fall in price before then new range comes out.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    I love my GT Avalanche 2.0d - but in the end you have to pay more for some of the features that you want to have, and have to ride it before you decide for sure.
  • i have an aggressor xc3 '07 (halfords) and am very pleased with it. the fork is a bit of a let down once you start progressing with your techniques and riding confidence but for a new rider its a very good fork- much more plush than the suntours on the equivalent avanlanche 3.0 disc, although it doesnt have as many features. plus the aggressor is on sale too at the moment. :D

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ryrn_82394
  • Good honest opinions - many thanks. Will definately look at the aggressor in Halfords.

Please keep more opinions/recommendations coming !
  • hi again.
    a mate of mine recently bought a GT Avalanche 2.0 disc, and if your willing to spend a bit more, id recommend it over the aggressor xc3. much as i like my aggressor, for the extra 100 quid you get a much better bike; tektro hydraulic brakes (as opposed to tektro i0 cable disc brakes), deore 9sp gearing (as opposed to 8sp acera) etc. the frame is also stronger, as the tubes are pressed into stronger shapes, creating a bigger weld area. the suntour forks are acceptible, but will need upgrading as your riding progresses. however this is the only upgrade that you really need to make the bike pretty damn good. with the aggressor, youd need to upgrade the gearing, and brakes and forks (which is what im in the process of doing :D ).

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70223
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The 2.0 is 8spd.

The Aggressor XC2 however is 9spd - the Agressors are last years Avalanche frames.
  • Simon, im in exactly the same position as you. I also want a bike suitable for a mix of offroad/road biking.
    I have a budget of £300 and theres soo many bikes too choose from :?
  • I finally went for a 2007 Mongoose Tyax Elite, 18" frame and disc brakes (cable). Totally delighted with it - some may say that the GT's are a better bike for similar money but the Mongoose is just fantastic!

Highly recommend anyone looking to consider this - although be fast - stocks are running very low because of the 2008 models coming soon.

I got mine from www.nationalcycles.co.uk

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the post.

Simon
  • Just today I bought a 2008 White GT avalanche 2.0 disc. £400 sheets with free helmet and pump. Its Light, white and Brilliant !
    Have a go, you wont be disappointed.
    I have been looking for 3 solid weeks on web, and 7 different shops.
    looked at bikes from £1500 (Cube full sus) to £200 (Decathlon)
    Went to DAI Lesuire, Merry Hill
    Bike Shack - Altringham
    Lesuire Lakes - Nottingham
    Brotherton Cycles - Old Hill
    Halesowen Cycles
    Halfrauds
    Decathlon
    The Avalanche is just perfect. for me anyhow.
    Light use around town, XC through Clent and Malvern Hills.
    Only bits im changing are tyres/pedals/seat post clamp, gona go red like chessy, cos his bike looks v v v v nice.
  • that gt looks awesome in white, makes my blue '07 one look tacky - Im well jealous! :D
    nice one!
  • Enjoy !

:D
  • little bit of info for ya.

i got the 2008 avalanche 2.0 disk for 300 quid, barg!

ordered the 2007 from dales cycles on offer for 300 but they had no stock left so offered me the 2008 spec for same price.. i snatched thier ad off!

only thing is tho that i think its only for the xl frame...

anyow good luck in your search!
  • Hi Im having a similar problem, I want to spend £250 ish and I have seen three bikes, can anyone help me choose between GT Aggressor XC3 Disc, Mongoose Tyax Comp Disc (2008) and also GT Avalanche 3.0 disc (2007), I will be looking to use the bike for fitness purposes. I look forward to your replies ! Thankyou
  • supersonic
    Have a read of the What Bike thread.
  • Thanks I will have a read. Just one question though is there any difference between Aggressor XC3 and Avalanche 3 ?
  • supersonic
    One is basically unique to Halfords, very similar, the Aggressor probably the slightly better specced.

Owls as in Sheffield Wednesday?!
  • Yes Unfortunately ! We all have our problems ! :(
  • supersonic
    ha, I'm an owl too lol
  • Nevermind ! We have a chance to make things a little better Tuesday night against Burnley ! C'mon the Owls ! Cheers for info on bikes im now, between Mongoose Tyax Elite and Aggressor XC3.
  • ive got an aggressor, and would highly recommend it. ive had it for 3 months now, and havnt had any probs. its a really good bike, especially for the money, plus its on sale now too!
    p.s. steel city rules! :D
  • Thanks for your help !