Cat and Fidddle challenge October 7th 2007

velocitizen
velocitizen Posts: 327
Anybody riding this, or ridden it before.
Looks like a nice day out.
http://www.cftrust.org.uk/help/events/catandfiddle

See you there?
BeestonCC Sportive
Sunday 24th June 2012
Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/

Comments

• tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    rode it 3 years ago , great ride. first 15ish miles quite flat then you hit the hills big time! just as you recover from the cat+fiddle climb you hit axe edge which i think is worse. but it,s the small hills at the end that get you . :twisted: lot of riders to keep you going though, 1300 i think when i did it . good luke . tim.
  • tim000 wrote:
    rode it 3 years ago , great ride. first 15ish miles quite flat then you hit the hills big time! just as you recover from the cat+fiddle climb you hit axe edge which i think is worse. but it,s the small hills at the end that get you . :twisted: lot of riders to keep you going though, 1300 i think when i did it . good luke . tim.
    The 7 miles climb is pretty easy in a 39/25. Depending on fitness there are loads of people on MTBs to overtake and surprisingly hardly anyone stops and walks anywhere on the route. You're right about the sneaky little hills towards the end. There was one that caught me out where I turned right at lights up a short shallow rise - got out the saddle and pushed it only to find a steep climb round the corner UGH.
    I must say goodbye to the blindfold
    And pursue the ideal
    The planet becoming the hostess
    Instead of the meal
    Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Doing this one if I make it back from my holiday in one piece! The Cat itself is quite easy really, but have never ridden the climb out of Leek or Brown Edge before, but they look they would hurt when I've driven that way, so put a generous estimated finishing time down :)
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    Entered too - but beginning to have doubts abvout doing it due to chest infection for past 3 weeks :( .

Training gone to pot.
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • Thanks for the replies, I have driven over the cat and fiddle a few times, but not cycled over it, I am sure it will be those undulations towards the end that will pain me if any do.
    See you there if you are riding.
    BeestonCC Sportive
    Sunday 24th June 2012
    Enjoy the finest cycling in the Peak District.
    47, 75 and 111 mile routes.
    http://www.beestonccsportive.co.uk/
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    just a warning , as you start to climb the cat &fiddle you leave macc and head into some trees. at this point the road surface is very poor , no big potholes just very broken. once you leave the trees after about 1/2 a mile it,s ok again . 8)
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    tim000 wrote:
    just a warning , as you start to climb the cat &fiddle you leave macc and head into some trees. at this point the road surface is very poor , no big potholes just very broken. once you leave the trees after about 1/2 a mile it,s ok again . 8)

I'll second that, but as I'm usually doing about 3mph at the point, its doesnt really affect me!!! :oops:
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • DomT
    DomT Posts: 648
    Was a good day... just uploaded the route for anyone who couldn't make it.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    Great day and a great ride. Particular thanks to Rourkies and the CF Trust for their usual superb efforts to make this a safe and fun day out.

Respect to the guy on the Brompton! I hope you made it.