Can someone help me identify this CLACK CLACK on my Dale pls

CaptainCropper
CaptainCropper Posts: 60
edited September 2007 in Workshop
Brand new Cannondale Bad Boy 8 with Alfine rear hub, eccentric crank adjuster thing (apologies if my terminology is wanting) probably not even 50 miles on it.

Anyhoo, everything was fantastic until about a week or two ago when it started making a loud CRACK or CLACK, on every power stroke of the pedal, especially bad in top gear, not so bad when pootling along, there's a little bit of play in the crank, not much but there shouldn't be any at all!

Can someone point out what this might be so I can take it to Evans for it's first service armed with a little bit of knowledge so I don't get fobbed off.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lose crank arm. lose bb cup. stop riding it and get it sorted or you may damage it and that will not be warrenty.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    lose crank arm. lose bb cup. stop riding it and get it sorted or you may damage it and that will not be warrenty.

Thanks, I might pop it in to Evans on Friday then.

Would it make any difference that I'm a bit of a porker?
  • nicklouse
    well you could be putting more force on than some of them normal folk. but if assembled correctly then it should have been ok.

unfortunatly things do come lose as things bed in. general just waving an allen key at the required part solves the noise.

doing nothing can cause irreversable damage.

if you want to have a look yourself have a look at the park tools repair webby, linky below. click in the part of the bike that seems to be the prob and have a read.

but as the bike is so new i would leave it to Evans to sort.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    well you could be putting more force on than some of them normal folk. but if assembled correctly then it should have been ok.

unfortunatly things do come lose as things bed in. general just waving an allen key at the required part solves the noise.

doing nothing can cause irreversable damage.

if you want to have a look yourself have a look at the park tools repair webby, linky below. click in the part of the bike that seems to be the prob and have a read.

but as the bike is so new i would leave it to Evans to sort.

Wise words, I'll let them sort it this time because the first service is FOC but after that I'll be getting the tools and doing it myself.

Might point out to them the dreadful design of the Dale pedals (rubber nobbles falling off) and the annoying weeeet...weeeeet....weeeeeet......weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet..... of the hydraulic front brake.

You can imagine it I'm sure, CLACK! weeeeeet CLACK weeeeeeeet.....CRRRCLKACK weeeeet..... and so on.
  • nicklouse
    and the whole idae od a SS is the silence well forget the heavy breathing and the click click when free wheeling.
  • SS? Bear with me, I'm a noob at all this :oops:
  • nicklouse
    Single Speed :wink:

a bit unfortunate but..

but then it is geared! my bad. the ones i have seen out here have been single speeded.

or i am just getting confused.

must have mixed it up with the 1FG Ultra.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Is the noice happening every pedal revolution? Stand over the bike and turn the pedals slowly backwards - does the cranks or chainring run true or does it move from side to side? Is there a stiff link on the chain or is it catching on a chainring tooth every rev?Have you had an accident or has the bike fallen-over that would cause some parts to suffer impact?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Is the noice happening every pedal revolution? Stand over the bike and turn the pedals slowly backwards - does the cranks or chainring run true or does it move from side to side? Is there a stiff link on the chain or is it catching on a chainring tooth every rev?Have you had an accident or has the bike fallen-over that would cause some parts to suffer impact?

Not on every pedal revolution, and only after about 50 yards strangely enough. I just took the chain off and the action of the BB is smoother than a smooth thing, no clunks stiffness or resistance but there is still a bit of play in it. I'm starting to suspect it's the mechanism that holds the whole shebang into place (i.e. the 2 wedges either side of the BB).

Time will tell I suppose, it's really annoying to the point that it's unpleasant to ride, people can hear it coming 20 yards away.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There shouldn't be any end-play in the BB axle at all - probably the BB eccentric moving in the shell. Take it back to the shop and get them to sort it out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..