Home Made Recovery Drinks

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
edited September 2007 in Training, fitness and health
I remember seeing a topic on the old C+ forum about homemade recovery drinks, but can't find it anywhere. I think it was something along the lines of milk+peanut butter+blender.

Can anyone remember what is was, or give the recipe or advice for one?
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• I remember seeing a topic on the old C+ forum about homemade recovery drinks, but can't find it anywhere. I think it was something along the lines of milk+peanut butter+blender.

Can anyone remember what is was, or give the recipe or advice for one?

while i don't know the recipe you're after i can't imagine that the above recipe is great for recovery, where you need high glycaemic index food (specifically carbs) to help restore muscle and liver glycogen. The fat in peanut butter makes it a low(ish) glycaemic index food.

Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Fruit smoothies could be quite useful. Maybe a mix of berry's, banana's, and milk. You could also mix in some honey for extra carbs. Fruit is an excellent anti-oxidant.

ric
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • I think it was something along the lines of milk+peanut butter+blender.
    I think I'd rather leave the ingredients on the counter and put my head in the blender than have to drink that! :wink:
    And yet another self-indulgent blog
    My Rhythm of Life is syncopated
  • I think it was something to do with the milk + peanut butter providing protein, there may have been other things aswell.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • The old thread has gone.
    You could try myprotein.co.uk I get mine from there both carb energy drink for rides and whey based recovery. They are the best tasting ones I found and significantly cheaper than the "branded" ones.
    If your clever and dont mind mixing your own you can copy the ingrediants off the well known ones and order them seperately from the site amd mix them yourself, even cheaper. I personally go for their own mixes.
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Chocolate milk is a good one, fairly cheap and apparently contains an ideal ratio of protein/carbs, although the amount of simple sugar in it puts me off a bit. I personally have a pint of semi-skimmed with a few scoops of cheap whey protein and a drop of squash to flavour (currently Vimto!). Add a few scoops of maltodextrin as well if it's been a particularly hard ride. I also use myprotein.co.uk and buy in bulk, 5 kilos of whey worked out about £7 per kg and will last ages, I think the maltodextrin was about £3 per kg last time I ordered.
    Carbs are generally agreed to be more important than protein after a ride, but I always eat something as well so I don't see the point of tipping a load of glucose down your neck in addition. It's just extra calories. In fact, come to the think of it, I'm not sure the whole concept of a recovery drink is neccessary, unless you can't consume quality food straight after a ride. You would probvably be better off putting the peanut butter between a few slices of wholemeal bread and just drinking the pint of milk on it's own to wash it down!
  • Do whey protein style things actually work? I've always been a bit sceptical about stuff like that, but it seems like every bloke in Mens Health etc is using the stuff, so I suppose it must work.

The prices on that sight seem pretty decent mind, especially the bulk prices.

Edit:- I might give buying a Kilo tub a go. If it suggests 3x30gram serving a day, a Kilo should last for ages surely?

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • I use High5 protein/carb recovery mix. Its good stuff and I've noticed a difference after drinking it the next day. I've also heard that peanut butter mixed in it is a good source of protein for recovery and I put a small spoonful in with the mix. A mate of mine who's a serious triathlete and runner up of the ultrafit competition is a big fan of mixing peanut butter in his recovery drink.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    I'm a bit dubious about your assertion that recovery drinks work because everyone in Men's Health magazine use them. If that's the case you will have to buy a whole load more supplements!
    An endurance athlete requires somewhere between 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilo body weight, which in my case works out at just under 100 grams at the most. I can get that fairly easily by eating properly, so I'm not sure myself if extra whey protein has any benefit. It does seem to help me feel less sore the next day, but this could be a placebo effect. It's not easy to do a scientific study on yourself and quantify any difference !
  • I use High5 protein/carb recovery mix. Its good stuff and I've noticed a difference after drinking it the next day. I've also heard that peanut butter mixed in it is a good source of protein for recovery and I put a small spoonful in with the mix. A mate of mine who's a serious triathlete and runner up of the ultrafit competition is a big fan of mixing peanut butter in his recovery drink.

I can't imagine that peanut butter would be in the slightest bit good for you (either post exercise to aid recovery, or at any other time).

While peanut butter is high in protein, it's also the devils food in terms of fat, which would slow down the uptake of any carbs being consumed (which are the *most* important aspect of post exercise nutrition) and of course lots of fat aren't very good for e.g. cardiac health or weight management.

That's not to say that i don't occasionally eat peanut butter, but it's not really recovery food,

ric
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • < :shock: quickly throws the 2 jars of peanut butter in the bin...>

Thought that because its fat is mainly monounsaturated (as in olive oil) its not BAD for you, in fact the opposite.
  • i go in my cupboard and find "Whole Earth Smooth Organic Peanut Butter with no added sugar". It tastes nice. I have no idea if it is similar in ingredients to other peanut butters

The ingredients are roasted peanuts (96%), palm oil, sunflower oil, sea salt

Per 100 g of product there is 50.8 g of fat of which, 9.1 g is saturated.

So, yes, it's mainly unsaturated (or polyunsaturated?) fat. However, more than 50% of the product is fat, it just isn't good for you. Your weight management couldn't care less whether your fat comes from mono, poly, or saturates; they still contain ~9 Kcal/g compared to ~4 Kcal/g for carbs or protein.

You still have to limit your fat intake.

Ric
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    I get the stuff from myprotein, and make my own, as I don't want artificial flavourings or sweetenings

Here is the substance of the recipe I gave in the old C+ thread

My recovery drink
    1kg maltodextrine, 1kg dextrose, 1kg protein
    94% malto 2% sugar, 100% sugar, 75% protein

gms Per 100g
    32carbohydrate, 34 sugar, 25 protein
    Cost
    Malto 2.60/kg/ Dextr£2.99/protein£9.25
    £14.85/3=£4.95kg, cf REgo at £15kg

This REALLY works-I make it up 100g/pint of semi skimmed milk, flavoured with cocoa-not hot chocolate

Sports fuel

maltodextrine2.60/kg/ Dextr£2.99
    Carbo94%, 2% sugar/100% sugar
    Say 3:1
    3x94=282 + 6 sugar , +100 sugar

Per 100g
    Carb70.5/sugar26.5
    (3x£2.60=£7.80) £7.80+2.99=10.80/4
    =2.70/kg,cf High five £8/kg

I flavour my drink with apple juice-about a third, and add a pinch of Lo Salt

I also use this as a "gel"-for very long rides and sportifs, putting half a bottle of powder together with a little apple juice, and topping up with water. It makes a very thick goo-

That said, my favoured fuel for long rides is a combo of tuna sarnies and milkshake-easily obtainable from most service stations
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • i go in my cupboard and find "Whole Earth Smooth Organic Peanut Butter with no added sugar". It tastes nice. I have no idea if it is similar in ingredients to other peanut butters

The ingredients are roasted peanuts (96%), palm oil, sunflower oil, sea salt

Per 100 g of product there is 50.8 g of fat of which, 9.1 g is saturated.

So, yes, it's mainly unsaturated (or polyunsaturated?) fat. However, more than 50% of the product is fat, it just isn't good for you. Your weight management couldn't care less whether your fat comes from mono, poly, or saturates; they still contain ~9 Kcal/g compared to ~4 Kcal/g for carbs or protein.

You still have to limit your fat intake.

Ric

I am looking at Sunpat Crunchy:
    Roasted peanuts 95&
    Cane sugar, stabiliser, E471, sea salt

Per 100g:
    587Kcal (that alone is anough reason not to eat great globs of it)
    protein 23.6g (which is why Joe Beer likes it)
    Carbo 10.3g (of which sugars are 2.5g)
    Fat 50.3g (!) of which saturated (bad) is 10.1g, monounsaturated (good) 25.0g
    etc etc

Agree it is easy to eat too much, just as its easy to overdo nuts in general as they have a high specific calorific content, but they are still beneficial providing the quantities are appropriate!
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ster-12108

"A study by scientists at Indiana University showed that chocolate milk is very effective in recovery after hard exercise. They compared the effects of chocolate milk against a series of commercially produced recovery drinks. To their surprise, they found that the chocolate milk more than held its own."