Cable-routing for time trial/bar end brake lever

Monty888
Monty888 Posts: 44
edited September 2007 in Road general
Hi. I'd appreciate a wee bit of advice from anyone who's installed one of these things, please.

I'm aiming to use a Tektro time trial lever on my fixed gear. I'd like to know if I'll have to route the cable through the handlebars. I dare say that would look much nicer, but my bars aren't drilled or grooved for that sort of set up. Will I be able to run the cable on the outside of the bar and cover it with bar tape?

Advice, suggestions and explanations gratefully received. :-)

Comments

• Yes. My cables are outside under the bar tape & cable tied. Not perfect, but aqbsolutley fine.
    ...up the Villa

My Precious...
  • Thanks. I guess that'll have to do then. Unless it's possible to drill a hole in normal bars and run the cable through them anyway. Has anyone tried that?
  • Monty888 wrote:
    Thanks. I guess that'll have to do then. Unless it's possible to drill a hole in normal bars and run the cable through them anyway. Has anyone tried that?

Take care - super-light bars using thin-walled alloy sections could present a problem. Also, if they're brand-new bars, it may invalidate any warranty you may want to invoke later on should the product be sub-standard.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Yeah, I've been warned off making alterations to my handlebars, so I'll settle for a bar tape-covered brake cable.

I quite fancy the Tektro TL 720 levers at the bottom of this page, but no-one seems to have them in stock.

http://www.tektro.com/02products/09rx41.php

Thanks again.