Flowers ?

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
edited September 2007 in The bottom bracket
Can a man send another man flowers ?

This stems(pardon the pun) from a crash I had a while back.
I was driving my hgv down the A1 when a crane pulled out in front of me, I was doing 56mph he about 20. The result was that the passenger dash ended up against the back of the passenger seat. The first car driver to stop (others just drove by) pulled me out and made sure I was OK before offering to be a witness, handing me his business card and driving off. The crane driver then failed the breath test !
I wanted to say thank you to the car driver, as the crash was drink related I didn't want to send alcohol, if the driver had been a woman I would have had no hesitation but to send flowers, women send other women flowers so could I send flowers to this gentleman for putting himself out for another human being?
If it of any relevance I am late 40s he early 60s.
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Probably not. I reckon most guys would be a bit uneasy about the gesture.
    I have pain!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I know it was an alcohol related accident, but for most blokes in their 60s as a thank you gesture you can't go wrong with a decent(ish) bottle of whiskey. Can't think of anything else to help, sorry.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    Is there some sort of blokes 'gift' store in your area? Somewhere you cold get him a gift card for? Golf course etc?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    To be quite honest.....

A letter would probably be sufficient - just to recognise his conduct and humanity.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Agreed, no flowers. A thank you card should be enough. Some men, particularly of the older generation, do not go in for all that sentimentality mumbo jumbo.

If you really feel a gift is appropriate then perhaps something along the car lines... free car wash, petrol vouchers if there's such a thing.
    Every winner has scars.
  • the thought of one man sending another man flowers is appalling!!

send him some halfords vouchers ... and a subscription to Loaded.
  • the thought of one man sending another man flowers is appalling!!

send him some halfords vouchers ... and a subscription to Loaded.
    2nd thoughts,just the subscription!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • I know you said that the incident was alcohol related, but as you and the 'good samaritan' hadn't been drinking I wouldn't worry about it. A few nice bottles of wine would be much appreciated, I'm sure.

The fact that you want to show your appreciation is what matters and any gesture is very nice on your part.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • What about a big tin of biscuits
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    Ring his company and ask them what they think he'd like
  • no, no, no flowers whatsoever.... a thank you letter with a store voucher of some kind would say alot more....
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I didn't mean 12 red roses, but I get the message that flowers may not be the best thing to send. Surprised someone didn't feel it would be OK. I guess that's what happens when you live in a house full of women .
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace