Pedal for Scotland 2007

dnm_1973
dnm_1973 Posts: 17
Hi, hope this is the right forum to post this...

I'm taking part in the Pedal for Scotland event from Glasgow Green to Edinburgh Victoria Park this year. First time I've tried this and wondering if past participants can tell me if the route is fine for a road bike (specifically a Spesh Allez). I've got a Rockhopper too, but haven't ridden it for few years after making the switch to the Allez. :wink:

Cheers,
Dave

Comments

• noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    You'll be fine on a roadie- I'm on same as you

it's a good day
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • Road bike no probs. Route follows B roads after leaving glasgow, some A road sections, then onto tarmac cycle track from near Forth Rd bridge into edinburgh.

2 yrs ago I used my mountain bike and last year I went on my road bike ( A Red Aende) , far more enjoyable on the road bike.

At Avonbridge there is a short sharp vertical climb which was a bugger on the 42 chain ring but aprt from that OK, half the charity cyclist walk that hill.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • I'm doing it on a road bike (Bianchi) this year after doing it 2 years ago on an MTB. Planning to cycle back to Motherwell from Edinburgh as well via the A71. Am I mad?
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • Andy you are mad! Only cause you are coming back the A71. Take the lang wang. Much nicer and quieter.
    Peter
  • Glad to hear there will be a lot of roadies about then and I won't feel out of place. 8)

Half considering trying to cycle back to Falkirk myself, but I've a feeling that when I cross the finish line the thought of a lift home will be just too tempting! :wink:

Dave
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    No 2423 here

Did it last year as well, was good and for the distance I managed a stonking speed around 26kmh, though was knackered at the end.

The guys on the MTBs are good for sheltering behind on hills and drafting once they summit.

I don't understand how they decide their numbers (random?) or how despite asking for the latest start possible I still ended up in the 9am group (who are going between 8 and half 8) despite presumably being one of the first to sign up (about 3 days after i got the e-mail about entry's opening)

The cakes at Avonbridge are excellent but the only other stop I made last year was at Kirkliston (about same distance as Hopetoun estate is) Missed Linlithgow academy because I was confused by what others were doing at the mini-roudnabout in front and Drumpellier because I was still loaded with water and juice.

Strangest bit for me was cycling on a road made deserted by the polis with other cyclists all around.

Other than the early start I am looking forward to it again though I haven't got out on the bike as much as i would have liked this year and despite being seemingly quicker I am also going to have to drag 15 stone instead of 14 up the hills.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I decided against the Road bike in the end and I'm taking the Sirrus, it not quite as fast but I've booked a place on the bus and didn't trust the handling of carbon frame. Maybe next time when it starts in Edinburgh and finishes in Glasgow, I can cycle back and not worry about the bus.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Number 3185 for me. Usually a mountain biker but ride a cheap Apollo road bike so that's the one for me, bright yellow - nice!!

First time trying this and the furthest on road distance I've done. Looking forward to it with only a little bit of fear, hope the paramedics are at regular intervals :lol:

I had heard that there was some TV coverage last year, anyone know if that's the case this year?
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • nwallace
    Steve_F wrote:
    I had heard that there was some TV coverage last year, anyone know if that's the case this year?

Was on the news, I managed to be in the picture used on both the STV and BBC websites
    Do Nellyphants count?

• No. 566 for me.

Didn't know the roads were getting cleared by the Police. Is that only at certain stretches along the way or is the whole route car-free?

Already looking forward to Sunday, but if the roads are cleared it's going to be even better! :D
  • Aidocp
    Great ride, pity about the weather :oops:
  • nwallace
    Had a visit from the puncture fairy and the bottle cage structural failure fairy

The puncture turned out to be a seam failure which I could have kept going on by pumping a bit more air in. First tube went in, got to decent pressure and the valve inner (presta) came out with the pump. Tube 2 went in fine but on low pressure (especially since i am not very light) not attached it to my track pump yet (which was stupidly left at home and not put in the back of dad's car which was given the instruction to take pictures)

Overall time was around 5 hours time, on the clock is 3:58.56 and I stopped at Avonbridge, Linlithgow and Hopetoun.

Some sections of the route were just stupid like the dirt track out of Hopetoun (I should have got off and walked it) [If I had known about it I would have used the Sardar] and the section of path beside the old railway which had some sort of mad traffic angering device which included a gate which for the known volume of traffic should probably have been opened. I also failed top notice one of the speed bumps in Drumpellier and hit it at around 30k.

Other than that great route pity about some of the surfaces being hellish (the bit between dalmeny and crammond brig and the surface on NCN1)
    Do Nellyphants count?

• Had a visit from the puncture fairy and the bottle cage structural failure fairy

Me too on the puncture. I've never seen so many people getting punctures, especially that last stretch on the cycle path, must've been glass in the puddles. I couldn't get the pressure up with the wee pump and the rear wheel had a mind of its own after that. Next time I'm taking CO2.

The cobbles in South Queesferry were, er, 'interesting'. I saw one guy go over on the sections where the cobbles were layed lengthwise and nearly joined him.

Wass riding a Brompton (it's a charity thing) but I can't compare to the dude who did it on his BMX. He was pedalling like a maniac.
  • I doubt it could have been any wetter, but at least it wasn't too cold or windy.

Also found the short dirt track out of Hopetoun less than ideal, but managed to stay upright on the Allez and was lucky enough not to suffer any mechanical mishaps throughout the journey.

Chicken pasta at Linlithgow was just about the best I've ever tasted - top marks to the people behind the Pasta Party and thanks to all the other volunteers who marshalled the course and helped out at the rest stops. :wink:

Great ride overall and roll on next year's event! :D
  • First time I've ever done it. Was on a Mongoose Tyax Elite (enjoyed the Hopetoun mudbath!) but managed to keep up with my mate on his Bianchi Pista fixie. About 4hr30min for the whole route which I was quite happy with. Had a strange kind of fun despite the atrocious weather.
  • noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    come in TNT trailer number 1633, where ARE you

1 1/2 hours we waited on Glasgo Green for him, i the pi$$ing rain

arrived on the bus at 8.40 left GG at 10.15

mightily unimpressed

what was wrong with using Meadowbank, as before, parking, showers etc

Vict park far too small

too many paths were too narrow for number of riders

didnae really enjoy 3.5 hours getting soaked
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • Steve_F
    Truck 1633 for me too, was really motivated off the bus and felt like going home when the bike arrived.

4h11 after a slow first 10 miles with the rest of the guys - taking some abuse for leaving them behind!!

Even on the racer I enjoyed the Hopetoun mudbath, fast as possible and fingers crossed :D , didn't enjoy the South Queensferry cobbles tho, especially with the d**k of a boy racer revving up half a metre from my back wheel. Grass at the finish wasn't the best either, thought a sprint to the finish line was a good idea before I saw that!!

Overall a great event even with the "light" rain.
  • Aidocp
    You folk seemed really unlucky with the Bus/truck. I got one of the last buses. it left about 8:15 and I started the ride at about the same time. My computer says it was 14:02 when I finished, I don't know what the actual time was, I reset my computer by mistake :oops:
    Was the Pasta any good? I was tempted to stop there.
  • Steve_F
    Cold chicken pasta was really nice, perfect sized portion not to be stuffed either.

Was a bit of a pain having to go so far off the route into Linlithgow to get to the stop, probably won't stop there next year if looking for a decent time.
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Congratz to everyone that did the ride :D

I allways do the route back home to Glasgow but it was just too wet for 100miles on Sunday, I hadnt any means to get transport back to Glasgow or I would have just done the 50.

We took a drive over and passed Avonbridge and cheered on the riders at Victoria park looked like great fun wish I could have done it, hopefully next year I will make better plans.

Well done to everyone its a massive achivement for anyone :D
  • I did the bike ride and i was wet through and freezing will probably do it next year but i hope the weather isn't so wet. My fav part of the ride was seeing the 2 kilometeres to refreshments and then you saw the speed pick up. If you signed up and didn't do it you should have done it was only rain.
    Ellen, aged 11
  • nwallace
    Working in kilometres while cycling, I came to doubt the 2km to refreshments signs but never thought to check the distances!

If these and the distance markers were in place last year I never saw them if not they were a welcome inclusion but why work in km for refreshments and miles for total distance?

Is this the first year Pennine have run the event for cycling Scotland?
    Do Nellyphants count?

• LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    Well I had a nightmare yesterday.... puncture on the ride to the pick-up point and then an impact puncture as I came through Avonbridge which caused me to stop (thankfully a controlled stop!!!) The puncture had separated the valve from the tube and having used my only spare earlier in the morning I had to wait for a race marshall/ maintenance vehicle.... and wait.... and wait.... and wait. Last year when I had no such problems, I saw numerous marshalls.... this year nothing.... eventually decided to ask some cyclists going past....

To the person that did stop and give me a spare, many thanks and if you read this please PM me and I will be more than willing to reimburse him...

in the end completed the course in 3 hours 5 mins riding time... (4 hours 10 mins including the stop for a puncture)....

Still thoroughly enjoyed the event, though would love to meet the person that thought it might be fun taking riders over the grass/mud bath at Hopetoun House AND thought that after 40 miles we should experience a little Paris-Roubaix, by taking us over the cobbles in South Queensferry!!!!
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • We just happened to be out for a spin yesterday afternoon when we saw some signs for "refreshments in 2km" time. Naturally curious we followed the signs and found 2 guys in a tent just inside Hopetoun estate who shouted us a banana each and told us a bit about the ride - top blokes.

Following the route further on it's a shame they didn't let the ride follow the drive through in front of the house as it's slightly more pleasant than the mudslide you seem to have been directed along. Dalmeny estate would be a good one to run through too (if they let you.)

Overall, it looked like a cracking route and we might give it a go next year. Is it the same route/direction each year?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • LorneC
    The last two years has certainly been in the West-East direction although the route this year was 8 miles longer.... last year the route took us on the direct route from Linlithgow through Threemiletown to Winchburgh, Kirkliston and then all the way along to Cramond.... finishing off at Roseburn Park (Murrayfield Stadium).

And this year we were taken through Drumpellier Country Park and there was a section of the route on a cycle path this year that caused numerous bottlenecks with people having to de-cleat/dismount to negotiate the gates.

Just little things thrown into keep the route interesting.

• Beg to differ. In 2005 the route went east to west. Weather was similar to yesterday except the wind was in your face most of the way. You had to pedal hard to get down some of the hills. I think the organisers have decided to stick to the usual Glasgow to Edinburgh direction since then. As the event has increased in popularity there have been some changes to the route and rest stops to accomodate the increased numbers taking part.
  • LorneC
    OK - I meant the last two, as in 2006 and the one we have just done... I'm already looking forward to next year.

• So am I. Let's hope for sunshine & a following wind!
  • Bus and trailer back from edinburgh was an improvment on last year.

Finish area too small, what was wrong with Murrayfield or Meadowbank.

Muddy track at Hopeton House not a good idea.

IIRC there was hot soup at Linlithgow previously, would have been much appreciated.

Course seemed hillier ? maybe just the miserable weather ? and some of the cycle tracks a bit narrow.

Previously I have done this in 4.5 hrs myself, 5.5 hrs with wife, and 7.5 hrs with wife this time. Need to get her fitter, i spent far too long hanging about at junctions waiting on her and getting cold.

Overall a good event, orgainsers can't control the weather, but there are a few things they should be looking at to improve for next time.

Red Aende, Red Spesh Hardrock, Wine Mercian, Rusty Flying Scot
  • We arrived at Glasgow Green at 6.30am and set our Easi-up half way between Registration at the Peoples Palace and the starting line. As riders began to trickle in we picked up the usual soft tyres and punctures. We had four mechanics there and the highlight of the morning was fixing Nicola Sturgeon's brakes before she, and Alistair Campbell, could officially start the ride.
    We met many customers and provided a cheery wave and a brief respite from
    the rain before the off.
    By 11.15am the last rider had set off and the start area was being derigged. We were officially finished for the day and two of the mechanics left to get their conections back to England. Rather than call it a day, we packed the van and headed to Hopeton House where we knew there was no technical cover. The look on the marshals face when we turned up and told him who we were was one of sheer relief. We were inundated with requests for help and problems ranged from slashed sidewalls and twisted chains to siezed gears and disintegrating brake blocks. One woman thought her brake blocks were melting because of the rain, bless her. We worked right through until after 4.30pm when the last rider had gone through.
    This is our second year and like most of the riders, despite the miserable weather, we'll be there again next year. Hope to see you there!

Mark
    Evans Cycles, Glasgow