Download and print decent maps....for free?

HJ1976
HJ1976 Posts: 205
edited September 2007 in Routes
Does anyone know a decent site where you can download decent quality maps? We have loads of maps in my house but they are all driving scale and most have rally routes and notes written over them oh and they are from the '60's!

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    What about good old Google Maps?
    Good coverage, nice aeiral shots, plus combination of both...
  • HJ1976
    HJ1976 Posts: 205
    I'm looking for OS style maps with standard keys i.e.bridleways etc.
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    Whan I am planning a tour, I go to Multimap.com
    Recently they have "upgraded" their mapping to digital Google style maps, but you can still use the olde site.
    When you zoom right in, it goes to OS Landranger maps. I then right click on the bits that I need, save them to my machine, then tile them together in Photoshop (or similar graphics package).
    Sounds like a hassle, but I think these are easily the best maps for cycling, as it has all the contours and altitudes, and at a good scale.

Hope this helps.
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    Yeah, ignore my previous post. :oops: I second the new Multimap 8)
  • or www.streetmap.co.uk

if you click on "large map" at the bottom you can get a large OS map of the area. You will still need to copy the tiles individually though...
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    You can still get os maps on multimap on the new site just click on the small area map on the left and it gives you a choice to view the os landranger map if its available still can be a little glitchy but great as its free.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • I do the same as rampax (and use Visio), however even if you get the OS MAP on the new site you can't copy it, to paste into another application.

The only way to achieve this is via the old site, hopefully this will stay available in the future, as I havent found another site that allows you to copy a map into another package.
  • rampax
    rampax Posts: 139
    If it wont let you right click to save the pic, you can just "screengrab" or (printscreen) the whole screen, paste it into Photoshop, and "slice n dice" it in there.
    The A6 Hazel Grove - "Always the worst part of any ride".
  • Yes good point, thanks for that
  • Yes good point, thanks for that
  • rampax wrote:
    If it wont let you right click to save the pic, you can just "screengrab" or (printscreen) the whole screen, paste it into Photoshop, and "slice n dice" it in there.
    ...Or do exactly the same in Microsoft Paint. Not that I'm saying Paint is the same as Photoshop, but not everyone has Photoshop or Visio, or the skills to use them. Whereas Paint is on most Windows machines and it can work quite well.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Any of the office programs will do the job too. I currently use publisher as I find it quicker than photoshop. I struggle with paint as its less forgiving if you make a mistake.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Or you could just use someting like Quo and pay £17 for a 40 sq km 1:25k (Explorer) tile :lol:
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Doesn't Memory Map have a print option?