Steve's September Wharfedale ride.

Steve GT
Steve GT Posts: 383
edited September 2007 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
After accompanying Diogenes and a host of other North Yorkshire forumer's on sunday's very enjoyable 'Moors Run' ride, I gave a commitment to organise a forum ride in my neck of the woods!

So here it is:

When: Sunday 16th September 2007, starting at 10:00.
Starting Point: The car park at the Ilkley Lido, Ilkley. The map can be found here. Please note that the Lido is on the other side of Middleton Avenue! I could not get the marker any closer than that.
Route: An 'there and back' ride to Buckden. Should be around 55 - 60 miles, but a fairly moderate ride, with no real tough climbs. Taking in some stunning Wharfedale scenery. The route is as follows: Ilkley, Nesfield, Bolton Abbey, Barden Tower,
Appletreewick, Hebden, Grassington, Conistone, Kettlewell and stopping at Buckden for Lunch. Basically the same way back, but this time going through my favourite village in the Dales, Burnsall. If the general concensus is that the route is too easy, we could always do a detour up Langbar! :wink:
This will be done at a very sociable pace, and stragglers will not be left behind.
Any takers?
Crediamo in te, bici!
My Bikes.

Comments

• mdg1157
    mdg1157 Posts: 222
    Hi Steve
    looks good, will try to get the day off (weekend at work unfortunately).Will you be out on your new toy!!
    Glad you enjoyed the ride yesterday, I certainly did, and intend to try and get out regularly.
    Mark (on the Omega)
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    I would be up for this but am on holiday.

I could do 2nd Sept or 23 Sept, if you could consider alternative dates.

I am Leeds, so would up for a more regular run if you are up for it. Been out on my own a lot and could do with someone to blether to :-)

Cheers
    Fraser
  • Steve GT
    fraz167 wrote:
    I would be up for this but am on holiday.

I could do 2nd Sept or 23 Sept, if you could consider alternative dates.

I am Leeds, so would up for a more regular run if you are up for it. Been out on my own a lot and could do with someone to blether to :-)

Cheers
    Fraser

Hi Fraser.
    You have a 'PM'.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Steve GT
    mdg1157 wrote:
    Hi Steve
    looks good, will try to get the day off (weekend at work unfortunately).Will you be out on your new toy!!
    Glad you enjoyed the ride yesterday, I certainly did, and intend to try and get out regularly.
    Mark (on the Omega)

Hi Mark. It was good meeting you on the ride. Nice bike by the way!
    I hope you can make it on the 16th!
    As for the new 'toy', if the weather looks good, then yes more than likely, but she wont come out if there is any chance of rain! :wink:
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Hi Steve,

Count me in. I will also wind up a couple of the weekend warriors who I am sure will be up for this.

D :D
  • Diogenes
    About time this was brought back to the top as the day nears.

I am still up for this and there are at least 2 and probably 3 of the weekend warriors to come too.

My only caveat is that I fly back in from India on the Saturday so as long as I don't have Delhi belly I will be there.

• Hi Steve - I missed this when it was originally posted at the end of July. I'm OK for the 16th as far as I can see, and I'd be glad to join you for the ride. It will be good to see you again (and Diogenes).

Andrew
  • Glad you can join us Andrew.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • fraz167
    Hope you guys get a good day for it, sorry won't be able to make it.

hey Steve, i see you from your pics you have a Pompino..good choice :-)

Talk soon
    Fraser
  • fraz167 wrote:
    Hope you guys get a good day for it, sorry won't be able to make it.

hey Steve, i see you from your pics you have a Pompino..good choice :-)

Talk soon
    Fraser
    Thats is for getting and from work as my trusty GT was nicked. The funny thing was I had broken a spoke on the back wheel and had taken it off to get fixed and left the bike sans back wheel locked up in the company's bike shed. Came back after the weekend to find it gone. The rear derailuer was shot to bits so it was basically a single speed anyway, and the brakes were in a bad way as well, but I loved the frame. Danish winters are hell on bike bits as they seem to salt the roads/bike lane a whole lot more than in the UK and I was too tired / lazy to clean the bike on a regular bases on a cold winter's evening!
    I bought it 2nd hand off ebay and the have put some 28 mill tyres on it. I will put some mudguards on it this weekend if they arrive from Ribble!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Bump.
    See you all at the Lido car park tomorrow.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Steve and all the gang, have a good one. by the time you start I will be half way through my shift in the BOS plant ( ask Diogenese ) so will envy you breathing clean air and enjoying great scenery.

cheers, DO
    climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber.
  • fraz167
    I hope the weather is as knd to you as it has been to me on the Costa Blanca this week. Went to see the Veulta yesterday, will post pics asap.

Make sure you head back over Langbar..

Cheers
    Fraser
  • Diogenes
    Steve,

Thanks for an excellent ride, wonderful route and good company, what more could we ask.

You even managed to keep the rain at bay, the sign of a true leader!

• Thanks Ian for joining me and bringing the rest of your weekend warriors with you!
    I am glad you enjoyed it.
    I will look forward to riding up in your neck of the woods again.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.